Anonymous

How to get neighborhood kid from knocking day in and day out?

I live in a townhouse style apartment complex. My daughter is in Kindergarten and so is another little girl who lives in the same complex. This little girl is Mexican and her parents work all day so she is home with her grandmother. No one but the little girl speaks English. This little girl knocks on our door up to ten times a day asking to play with my daughter. I do let them play together but sometimes we are eating, or I m not dressed yet, or we are having family time. I can say we ll be out in an hour, later this afternoon and ten minutes later she is knocking AGAIN. How can I get this to stop since I cannot speak to her family about it? I ve asked the little girl to wait until we come outside (grandma lets her wander the complex day in and day out)/ I cannot take this all summer long. It s gotten to the point where we hang out in my bedroom to avoid this little girl peaking in the windows. It s feeling very intrusive.What can I do?

Find a Spanish speaker to help you draft a letter. The letter should say that your daughter has a lot of activities planned for the summer and won't be at home most days. Within that letter you should suggest a regular weekly play date for the girls so this neighbor child can learn some boundaries. If this kid knows that every Wednesday at 3:00 she can come play with your daughter she'll be less likely to keep asking all the other hours and days of the week.

CALL ICE

• AVDADDY
      1 year agoReport

Spoken like a prize asshole.

I would try to explain to the little girl how you are feeling without hurting her feelings. Tell her that your daughter will come out when she is ready to play and that it is rude to knock on the door when you told her to wait. but don't tell her to wait an hour cause as a 5 year old she probably doesn't understand what an hour really is. But also if you can get her to interpret or use Google translate to come up with what you want to say do that and talk to her parents. But also try to remember that she is probably just lonely and that she just wants a friend so to not get so annoyed with her.

• G R

Someone in that house has to speak English?! If not surely you know someone who speaks Spanish that you could have write a letter expressing what is doing on, what you need to stop and maybe ask that she call first.... and go over say hello and give the letter to the parents. If you have a smart phone you can also download Google Translate and work from there.

call child protective services and report she is not properly supervised...this is truly neglect.

and find someone who can interpret for you. maybe if you belong to a church, you can ask around if anyone knows someone who can translate

just saw a news article on a device you put in your ear and it translates..both of you would need it

This might not be the answer you want, but just let her in and let her spend time with your daughter. She'll be a bit of an intrusive guest for awhile but then she'll get bored and find another friend to pursue. Remember it's just a lonely 5-year old girl, so I hope you'll do the right thing. She needs a friend to play with and she'll find another soon enough. She will be safe with you in the meantime. Isn't that what is most important?

Talk to her parents using the little girl as an interpreter.

• SimplytheFACTS
      1 year agoReport

can't depend on that in this situation

She is 5... your child might know what an hour is but she may not.

Instead of having her bang on your door all day, why don't you tell her, you will have your daughter come over when she is able to play. And if she is not available on a specific day, tell her.

Tell her what you just told us.

• Jen1 year agoReport

I've asked her to stop and she doesn't listen. Both parents speak Spanish and I don't. The little girl pays no attention to me asking her to stop.

Jen,When you see her parents talk to them.

* Get an interpreter

• Jen1 year agoReport

They don't speak English, and I don't speak Spanish.