Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 year ago

Is eating in a caloric deficit the only real way to lose weight?

I tried Keto for 3 months and I didn't lose any weight, I ate as much as a I could by the way, I cut out all carbs and I am still at 250 pounds.

I thought Keto was some sort of magic diet but turns out it is complete bull.

For many people, yes, calorie counting is a must. No diet or eating plan is magic. Keto can work but you need to understand that if you provide your body with more fuel than it can use (from any source) your body will store that fuel as fat. To burn fat, you need to force your body to take that fuel out of storage.

Understand that people who are overweight are overeaters. You need to learn how to eat the right nutrients in the right quantities to support a healthy body composition. Keto can work for many people because the fat provides a feeling of satisfaction and fullness and the lack of carbs minimized cravings and hunger. I would suggest a couple of things if you generally liked the keto diet. If you don't want to go keto, a lot of the same things apply: Lots of veggies, small portions of other foods.

1. Get an app on your phone like My Fitness Pal or Lose It!. Start tracking EVERYTHING you eat or drink. Don't fudge the data. Don't cheat. Start by just tracking how many calories you consume each day and when you consume them. This tool will help you not only understand your consumption but help you make better choices.

2. Get a food scale. You are going to need to weight and measure your food until you get used to accurately eyeballing serving sizes.

3. Use a BMR calculator to find your daily base caloric need at our GOAL weight, not your current weight. That should be how many calories you consume each day.

4. A good keto diet isn't all steak and eggs. Start making keto or bullet proof coffee if you drink coffee. Eat up to seven cups of low glycemic fresh veggies every day (salads, steamed veggies, etc.), eat two 3- or 4-ounce servings of protein a day -- you don't need massive amounts of protein. Get your fats from MCT oil, olive oil, nuts, avocado, etc.

5. Balance when you eat. Don't eat within five hours of going to bed. Your body and brain need fuel early, not late. If you eat a huge dinner at 7:30 PM, your body is going to have to store some of those calories as fat.

6. Try intermittent fasting. Go calorie-free for 14-16 hours (8 of which you'll be asleep), and eat your meals and snacks within an 8 hour period. It could be 7-4 or noon-8 or whatever works for your schedule. When your body has fasted it will use stored fuel.

Either you eat less calories and/or you increase your exercises. Ketogenic diet will make you lose weight if you eat less calories than you need to keep your current weight. Ketogenic diet cannot be normocaloric, it has to be hypocaloric.

• kelvin

than your doing it all wrong

running ???