how to fix a cracked foundation?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • y
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

How cracked and cause of crack comes into it. It could be as simply as throwing Hydraulic Cement or they now have epoxies that supposedly can be used. It may be the entire thing is moving right down to the footings, and your in trouble. Or it could be what they have found in hundreds of homes around here. A cement company cutting corners used the wrong mix 20 or so years ago, and the foundations need to be entirely replaced now. Of course that company is no longer in business so those people are screwed.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 year ago

it may not be fixable. and, in cases that aren't too serious, hydraulic cement can be forced into the crack and then a board slapped over the inside and held there with pressure for a couple of days while the cement sets up. It is sometimes desirable to use a concrete saw at an angle to open up the inside of the crack into a vee shape.

the cement has to be mixed so that the result will expand slightly while setting. This won't work if the other side of the crack [the outside] is wet or damp as too much water will be absorbed and the cement won't set up.

Sadly, I know of no plastic type product, including epoxy, that will become both tight and strong enough to bond to and strengthen the foundation.

Wish I knew how big the crack you're dealing with is and if you have had water seeping through or not .... [which suggests finding a local handyman with concrete experience to advise you or do the job for you]

Source(s): grampa
  • 1 year ago

Step 1: Hire a structural engineer to determine WHY the foundation is cracked.

Step 2: Ask them what actually needs repaired.

If the ground is shifting, you need to address that first. You CAN'T have a solid foundation without solid ground under it.

• 1 year ago

How severe of a crack? If it's a small crack, there are interior and exterior methods to fix it. Many companies now use a 2 part epoxy compound to seal cracks.

Is it leaking? If not, it can usually be left alone. I have a few, visible cracks in my foundation but as they do not leak, they aren't completely through the wall and are likely from the house settling shortly after it was built, 60 some odd years ago.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

You have to jack up the entire structure, so if it's a house, you have to have heavy equipment brought in and jack the whole house up off the existing foundation, possibly even move it away. Then you have to go in with jackhammers and completely remove the old foundation and lay a brand new one.

That's the only way. Houses with cracked foundations are generally unsellable because it's such an expensive fix that the cost is akin to tearing the house down and building a new one. I mean, unless the house is something special, like if it's just some ranch house or some run-of-the-mill frame house, it's not going to be worth it. The house will eventually settle off its foundation. At some point, the house will be condemned for having a cracked foundation.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

DEAD WRONG at least twice as often as even partially correct.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.