My parents are putting me into ABA for autism. Nothing I do or say will convince them otherwise. How do I cope while in ABA?

Please don't come here to tell me I'm overreacting. Please don't come here to tell me ABA is good. I'm just here for answers. Thank you if you gave one.

If you are going to comment, please answer the question.

So do you think that your disability is not hindering you in any way and that you are performing at or above the level of every single 14 year old? I think by this post you do need help and ABA has beneficial. I'm not sure where you got your misinformation from but a lot of people get their information about ABA from the previous experience of individuals who are older now who have had that experience wits with ABA due to behavior modification and badd therapists and now it's totally different and totally changed. Have you talked to anyone was done ABA or is in ABA recently? We can't harp on the past because the past is the past and the people in the present cannot change the badd service and the bed therapy that has been done but they can change the present therapy and deliver the best possible therapy and work on socially significant behaviors like a they should and like most people do. Quality aba is beneficial we should stop saying it's horrible because the past was bad.

Isn't there some kind of qualitative testing to get in? If so, clearly you met the criteria. If not, take this up with the teachers or supervisors. As to how to cope, it's like anything else. You can go in with a good attitude and make the best of it and say "If I get one good idea out of this, it's worth it." Or you can go in with a bad attitude and make everyone else around you miserable. Your choice.

• SimplytheFACTS
      1 year agoReport

clearly you are not knowledgeable and should not be answering this question. there is no specific testing, it is commonly used for autism, but may be used with other disabilities

Dude 14 thinking he so mature

• J-Dawn

I'm sorry. Are you on Facebook? Join the group "Aspierations and Autieness" https://www.facebook.com/groups/Autieness/

It's full of adults who have gone what you're going through and they can help you.

realize there is good ABA out there. Talk to your parents about working together to develop goals that are important to you.

Good ABA should only focus on skills that are useful to or skills that you are interested in.

There are some things you NEED to learn. And some things you should have a choice on.

Being that you can already read, and write, and use a computer, it sounds like you don't need much Discrete Trial training.

Bad ABA forces you to conform to neurotypical standards. While you do need to function in reasonable ways, you should not be forced to act fully neurotypical.

• Tom

You're not overreacting.

• Bernd

How old are you ? Do you believe that you need assistance?