I listen to pastor Stanley each week.I admire him very much.I have a question; How do we know the Bible is the inerrant Word of God?

Please don't tell me the Bible says so or list internal proofs.

Yes I believe the Bible is the true Word of God but I do not know it.

I have read and studied it for more than 70 years.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favourite answer

Not sure where or when that idea came into existence. The bible is a compilation of records covering thousands of years. It should be clear that they were not originally written to us, but I strongly believe that the hand of God was in their preservation.

The bible records contain history, prophecy, counsel from living prophets and apostles to various groups and individuals, and opinion. It was not written to us and is not 100 percent accurate or translated correctly. However, we can glean much, even though it is not clear on all doctrines.

The records were generally wirtten to either non members and stayed within the basics of the gospel, or were written to members and did not talk in depth about those things that were already understood. Thus, it is difficult to get the whole picture and because the information was tailored to specific groups, it sometimes appears conflicting.

Members of the church are led by living prophets/apostles but follow the spirit in their application. It is not wise to become too letter of the law and try to word smith the scriptures. This will lead to strange doctrines.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

You might want to ask God to reveal the truth of his word to you, the real understanding of it. Since as this Scripture shows, it IS God who reveals the true understanding of his word - Matthew 11:25 - At that time Jesus said in response: “I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to young children. - - - - I'm not saying that you are not humble, but just highlighting what the Scriptures say. As that Scripture shows, the wise and intellectual could study the Scriptures as long as they want. Still, unless God revealed the true understanding of his word, they would not get it. This Scripture shows that attitude is very important - Psalm 138:6 - Though Jehovah is high, he takes note of the humble, But the haughty he knows only from a distance. - - - - But we can even ask God to help us have the right attitude and the appropriate desire for true knowledge - Philippians 2:13 - For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act. - - - - I encourage all to visit this web site where they don't even ask you for your email address for free Bible lessons.

www.jw.org

• 2 years ago

You have certainly read Hebrews 11:1, 6. Therein lies the answer to most of the questions on R&S.

• Dr. D
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

The standard answer is that the Bible says its inerrant, therefore its inerrant. However that is a circular argument and a logical fallacy.

Jesus uses the Old Testament as a source of authority when he proves his points to religious leaders. However, he only uses the Pentateuch when speaking with Sadducees because they only accepted the Pentateuch, and Jesus used a more expanded Old Testament when speaking with with Pharisees. So Jesus was just reaching down to the level of his audience.

How do we know which books are supposed to be contained within the Bible? Protestants recognize one set of books, Catholics, Coptics and Orthodox include seven additional books, and the Ethiopian Christians recognize additional books in their Bible. Who has the right Bible? The Book of Jude is in the Bible and quotes from the Book of Enoch (Jude 1:14) as authoritative. Ethiopians include the Book of Enoch in their Bible, shouldn't you?

If there were obvious errors in the Bible then that would question its reliability. For instance; how many stalls for horses did Solomon have? 1 Kings 4:26 tells us 40,000 and 2 Chron. 9:25 tells us 4,000. Which is right? Here are more related questions:

How many charioteers were killed, 700 or 7,000?

How many Horsemen did David Capture, 1,700 or 7,000?

How many supervisors were there? 3,300 or 3,600?

How many baths, 2,000 or 3,000?

God sent his prophet to threaten David with how many years of famine?

How many fighting men were found in Judah and Israel?

In the end we must conclude that the Bible isn't without error. The Bible alone cannot be our authority. We must also include; reason, logic, historical context, linguistics, and even social norms and context. However, even with its flaws the Bible still remains an important resource in drawing ourselves toward the truth.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Obvious troll is obvious.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

I do not assume a supernatural force so believing the bible came from people alone requires nothing new outside verified known facts. If you want to assume, first a supernatural power and then assume that power only wanted us to read the collective thoughts of a specific time period, then by all means

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

People "know" those things usually because they were indoctrinated as children into believing those things.

• Huh?
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Do you believe that stoning disobedient children, genocide and slavery are moral? If not the bible is not inerrant.

• The genetic history of Humanity is proven - we evolved from a primate ancestor, from multiple strains all interbreeding to produce H. Sapiens, "modern man". Man is an animal - we are not vegetable, mineral, or dirt - we share 96% or more of our DNA with the Great Apes, who are our cousins. Man was NOT created from dirt, nor did we have a single "father/mother". If the Adam / Eve story was true (and it's not) then our genetic history would be one of progenitor incest and genetic stagnation. It's not. There were many strains of humans in the beginnings of our species evolution.

If even ONE thing in the Bible is a fable presented as truth - then it is a lie and is NOT the "Word of God".

History and Science easily show that the majority of Biblical miracle events never happened. No Adam/Eve, no Noah/Flood, no Moses, no Hebrew slaves in Egypt, no Red Sea crossing, no Sun sitting still over Hebron, no Samson, no great many other things... that were shamelessly ripped, copied, and plagiarized from the myths and fables of other, earlier cultures.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

70 years and you still believe that nonsense? Slow learner

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.