How to convince a friend to go traveling with you?

I'm a Junior in college, and I'm planning to graduate next spring. I've always wanted to go traveling, but one thing that I think would be really cool is to drive across the U.S. to see the Grand Canyon (trip of around 2 weeks).

I'd prefer not to go alone, and I want to invite my best bud. I think it would be a cool thing to do right after graduating and before life gets too busy to do stuff like this. He is often pretty busy though, and I am not sure if he'd want to leave his family for 2 weeks.

How should I try to ask him about going? Have any of you gone traveling with a friend, and if so how did you talk to them about it?

Thanks

***by his family I mean his parents and his sibling

MANY people travel after graduating, just ask him, no point messing around with elaborate ways, tell him your plan and ask him if he would like to go with you

If this "family" of his involves a partner and children his life is likely already "too busy". But you can always ask. It's just a lot harder for a parent to take off this kind of time than it is for a childless person.

If you find out let me know, ive always wanted someone to travel with and no friends ever agree. It's too bad people like you and me don't know each other.