Is Speaking in Tongues, as mentioned in the NT, still seen today?

I went to a conservative Christian high school, and the teachers had somewhat different views. One showed us a video of an Asian cult (or hindu worship, I can't remember) where their "priest" would lift his hands over the people and this 'spirit' filled these people. They would shake, collapse, scream, and babble (similar to the exact "speaking in tongues" I've seen videos of from Pentecostal churches). The video claimed that this evil spirit (demonic) infiltrated the church today and that the true speaking in tongues as described in the NT no longer occurs.

What's your view? The Bible does say that one of the signs will be speaking in tongues. Does this actually mean the babbling or does this mean speaking in a foreign language fluently that you've never learned before as described in Acts 2?

Thanks!

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favourite answer

No; no one can miraculously speak in tongues today.

That all ended around the end of the first century. After Jesus’ death, the apostles were given the ability to bestow “gifts of the Holy Spirit” through the laying on of their hands (Ac 8:18; Rom 1:11). One of those gifts was the ability to “speak in tongues” (Ac 19:6; 1Cor 12:10) which meant “speak in languages” as the Greek word for “tongue” (glossa) was also the same word used for “language”.

Such a gift came in very handy during the first century. The gift wasn’t a bunch of unintelligible gibberish as is falsely brandied about today by some churches, but rather the ability to speak in real languages (Ac 2:8). The miracle was that the person who spoke the language instantaneously learned it. (Imagine if you could all of a sudden speak Russian, having never studied the language before.) When preaching God’s word to someone of another language (that one was never taught), it’s obvious how advantageous such a gift would be. Such miracles were necessary at the time to confirm God’s new word, what we now call the “New Testament” (Mk 16:17-20; Heb 2:3-4). However, as the church matured and grew, the gift became less and less necessary. Obviously after the word was confirmed, such miracles were no longer necessary. Correspondingly, as the apostles died out, such gifts died out with them as predicted by the Apostle Paul (1Cor 13:8-11).

With modern technology, you can prove to yourself that the gift has ended; some in fact have. Go to a church that practices “speaking in tongues” and record what someone says. Then later play that recording to different people who claim they have the “gift of interpretation” (1Cor 12:10). Try not to laugh when you get ten different interpretations from ten different people. (If you decide to do that, try to video the experience and put the vid on YT.)

If you want, you can “speak in tongues” like those false churches do right now. I’ll do so myself via this post. Speak along with me: Usumbulia kumbisomanta crestibilian gosterion meshukulu. There’s nothing to it. There are a few former “tongue speakers” on YT who explain how they faked all that.

Ever watch an old western when the Indians were getting ready the night before a battle? You’d hear them dancing around a fire chanting something similar to the chant Braves fans sing at their baseball games. I always thought that was some language they were singing. Nope, it was just unintelligible jabber. Psychologists call it an “ecstatic utterance”. Such are common with witchdoctors, pagan religions and even some sects of Islam. They come about somewhat naturally when one has whipped themselves into an emotionally high state. (Think of something unintelligible you may have muttered in the shower when the hot water all of a sudden turned freezing.) Modern day “speaking in tongues” is comparable to that.

• 1 year ago

No! definitely not. The gift ceased long ago as there was no further use for it. In fact, tongues were a known language, known to the hearer but unknown to the speaker hence the need for an interpreter to tell both the church and the speaker what was being said. Also, even way back then, it was never to be exercised unless there was an unbelieving Jew present. This gift was exclusively for unbelieving Jews. How do we know this? Isaiah 28:11 foretold that this gift would come in the future and we saw it happen at Pentecost when Jews had gathered in Jerusalem from every nation under heaven and they all heard the gospel preached in their own native languages and were amazed that all the men speaking were all Galileans. Isaiah tells us that "With stammering lips and another tongue will He (The Lord ) speak to THIS PEOPLE" and here He is talking exclusively about the Jews and no one else.

The ecstatic gibberish we hear in some churches today is definitely NOT the gift of tongues, there is no unbelieving Jew present. In fact, it's another lie of Satan as this is just another one of his fallacies. Unfortunately there would be tens of thousands of people in the world today who Satan has believing are Spirit filled (saved) as they possess what they believe is the gift of tongues but isn't.

Paul made the truth clear when he stated that "where there are tounges, they shall cease" and this would have taken place around the time the last apostle died.

Source(s): King James Bible, Bible teacher, Born again
  • 1 year ago

Satan is very clever and imitates gifts of the spirit.

Gifts of the spirit are usually very subtle, practical and should be a part of everyday life for faithful Christians. The gift of tongues is the ability to comunicate to others of a different language. The spirit of God does not cause people to babble or roll in the isles.

"And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilæans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?" Acts 2:4-8

• BJ
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Modern-day speaking in tongues is very different from the gift of holy spirit given to Jesus’ early followers.

In fact, there is no reliable record of anyone receiving that same miraculous power since the death of the apostles.

This is not surprising to Bible readers. Regarding the miraculous gifts, including that of speaking in tongues, the inspired apostle Paul prophesied: “They will cease.”

Those today who seek the gift of tongues that God no longer bestows on his people are really opening themselves to deception by Satan, who, we are warned, would use “every powerful work and lying signs and portents.” 2 Thessalonians 2:9, 10.

first-century Christians who received the gift of speaking in tongues used it to explain the things of God.

Stress was laid on the need to interpret clearly the message conveyed in tongues so that it could be understood by all and result in the edification of many.

Paul admonished: “Unless you through the tongue utter speech easily understood, how will it be known what is being spoken? You will, in fact, be speaking into the air.”

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • I have not witnessed the real thing......... ALL of the Pentecostal "tongues" business that goes on today is basically self-induced hysteria.... or out right phony....... and yes.... the gift of speaking in genuinely different languages will be more common as the time of the Rapture... and the other events leading up to it... begin to happen

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

My boyfriend loves it when I use my tongue in his anus.

• Here's the problem. A "tongue" is a language. The two most difficult languages on Earth, ever, are Mandarin Chinese and English. And yet we can easily cipher those languages to allow for translation. Some of the hardest codes ever devised were during WWII, and were from the Navajo, whose language patterns completely confounded the German code-breakers.

If "speaking in tongues" was an actual language (we'll call it Celestial) then it would still have repeating components, patterns, syllabic structure, and on and on and so forth, as ALL languages do.

That means that it could be recorded (it has) and deciphered. All that it has ever been found to be is gibberish. If it was an actual language it would have been deciphered. It is not a language. It is meaningless gibberish used by people who think themselves "holy" and need desperately to convince other people that they are.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

It's all gibberish nonsense for the mentally ill.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

I believe that the gift of tongues is still operational today. But most of what is called tongues today, is not real. It's frauds. The true gift is a language, not the same syllables repeated over and over.

The true gift is a language that you can speak that you never studied, and then the gift of interpretation of tongues has the person telling what you would be saying in tongues. It's quite amazing :)

------

Jesus loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that Jesus is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing in Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in Jesus to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven when you die, because you believe in Jesus! It is too late to be saved, after death

Source(s): I'm the real Chris, level 6 (every other level is a boring faker that isn't me) :)
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

Just one of the many lies contained in the Bible.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.