Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 months ago

why are so many poor , lower class people FAT? is that not ironic?

143 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Best answer

Something else that is even more ironic! There are more girls/women that are over weight compared to boys/men also these days!

• How is that ironic? Do not understand the definition of irony or did you just want to find some way to get a dig at women? Straight men smh.

• 8 months ago

Because junk food is cheaper, easier to make (if at all), and heavily advertised.

• 8 months ago

Cause they dont take care of themselves or eat a healthy diet.

• 8 months ago

I can only speak for the UK but while eating healthily is highly recommend by the government and the NHS and hugely focussed on by advertising, even with laws against certain advertising of unhealthy foods, healthy food costs a huge amount more than unhealthy or junk foods. For example you could buy a pack of 2 microwavable pizzas for £2, a bag of oven chips/fries for £1 or even a full takeaway meal for one for around £5, but you could buy one broccoli, lettuce, pack of carrots etc for around £1.50. Packs of fruit are more in the range of £2-4. Raw meat is more around £5-10. Cooked meat is even more money for much less food. Ready meals (which are always a lot more unhealthy they look) are around £4-8. If you dont have much money to spare after bills, you are left with 2 choices. Make your money stretch enough to have at least one full meal a day, or splurge and have a proper, actually nutritional meal once but spend the next few days/week on crisps/chips or bread and butter.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

I don't think that's true. Some politicians who are rich are fat

• 8 months ago

I don't think that's true. Some people are in SHAPE, some are not. MANY people out there are into working out. Gyms are abundantly filled. I don't see that many fat people. Actually a lot of underweight people.

• 8 months agoReport

I notice that, maybe the UK is different to somewhere like the US where it’s not often you see overweight people

• 8 months ago

Very difficult to conclude but the reasons tend to be how they're raised, family and social exposure, price of fruit and vegetables and lean protein sources and lack of knowledge. Interestingly, I read an article highlighting that many were malnourished in addition to being fat because their food sources were calorie dense foods low in nutrients, as carbohydrates and sugar are possibly the cheapest food groups.

• e9601:
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

They use their food stamps on junk food. Ever see their shopping cart??

• 8 months agoReport

lol. maybe should call them "junk food cards"?

• 8 months ago

Because the cheapest food is the food with the added cholesterol and sugar in it. They cannot or just do not want to buy good food and cook it themselves and had rather use the 2 for 1 coupons from McDonald's..

• Mark
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

@Retried: Yeah, I've never quite understood how processed corn chips are cheaper than the equivalent amount of UNPROCESSED corn (on or off the cob), but "it is what it is".

• 8 months ago

I am poor-ish, but very skinny. I eat junk food everyday! Yet I look like a starving lizard. It's the genes, not the class

• 8 months ago

The US government heavily subsidizes agriculture and livestock production so food is cheap and plentiful in the USA.

Besides going to the park or drinking, going out for fast food is just about the only form of entertainment poor people can afford. Also, the cheapest food (e.g.McDonalds) is not of the highest quality and is loaded with fats.

• 8 months agoReport

but I hate jealous people , so I don't care really what they do.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.