Christians: do you believe in evolution, and can you support it with Scripture?

I believe in a literal Creation because evolution is driven by mutations, which are imperfections. The world was perfect before the fall. But I believe after the fall, God allowed for natural selection and microevolution (finches beaks changing etc) to occur.

What do you think?

To be clear, I am asking for other Christians' views because I am curious.

I believe God is perfect and He created a perfect world in 6 literal days. In this perfect world, He created man in His image with the ability to do what is right and what is wrong. When given the choice, man chose to sin, and therefore "...sin entered the world through one man..." (Rom 5:12). I also believe that Creation around us is proof enough for God's existence (General revelation).

Not in atheistic evolution. The facts support creation spanning billions of years. They support theistic evolution. What they can't and don't support is atheistic evolution.

• User

1) Christians: do you believe in evolution

It seems to me to be the most reasonable explanation for the specific things that it explains.

2) and can you support it with Scripture?

No...but I also find no need to do so

and

I don't find that it contradicts Scripture.

I mean, you'd might as well ask:

- Do you believe in gravitons? (or any other yet-to-be-proved scientific theory or proposal)

- Can you support the existence of gravitons with Scripture?

Yes, I can support evolution with scripture.

"Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made." (John 1:3)

Just as God uses gravity to make stars and planets, He also used natural processes to make us.

People deny evolution because they haven't figured out that the Genesis passage was written to people who were herding sheep 3000 years ago. These sheep herders did not know about quantum relativity, string theory, Higg's boson or time frames of billions of years. The purpose of the Genesis account is about who (God) made the Universe, not about when or how He made it.

The Time line of Creation

http://www.rareuniverse.org/timeline.html

<Evolution is driven by mutations, which are imperfections.>

God may have borrowed mutations from Satan, but He can still use them as a tool.

<The world was perfect before the fall.>

Was it? What about the serpent? And the fact that the material from which Earth was made came from at least one exploding star?

<I also believe that Creation around us is proof enough for God's existence.>

The creation around us includes stars that are more than 6000 light years away and galaxies that are billions of light years away. It also includes lead in zircons and argon in feldspar.

"Marcoevolution" and "microevolution" are irrelevant terms made up by creationist idiots. There is no difference between the two. It's just evolution. Evolution disproves the Christian version of god. Christians can't accept evolution and be Christian.

• Paul

I can't support cell division or DNA with scripture either, since they were not discovered until long after the scriptures were written. Same with biological evolution. In any case, the teaching of the original and true Christian Church, the one Church Jesus Christ founded, to which He promised the fullness of truth, never conflicts with natural truths revealed by science. Truth cannot conflict with truth.

• Ray J

You "believe in" creationism because you can't use your brain for critical thinking. I do not "believe in" evolution. I do, however, accept evolution as fact based on all the evidence that supports it.

I am a Christian, but I do believe in evolution. I cannot necessarily support evolution with Scripture, but that is not what the Bible is for. Even if evolution is true, I do not expect the Bible to waste time elaborating on all the complexities of God's Creation. I don't think the WORLD was perfect before the Fall, per ce, rather the first soul endowed human beings had a perfect relationship with God. I don't know how long that lasted, as even Scripture doesn't say, but something happened, and now we're fallen. No amount of science is ever going to change that, even if we did descend from earlier hominids.

I like the way you sound, however, unlike those other Creationists who pose strong lies towards an unsuspecting audience with little understanding.

I do find Genesis 5 interesting though, where God creates them Male & Female and named >THEM< (Most Translations say "human" "man" "humanity" "humankind" etc, but the pre-masoretic Hebrew says...) ADAM.

God called THEM --- ADAM. I like brainteasers.

PS

I too believe creation is enough for God's existence, even if I believe in evolution. What most Creationists do, however, is play mathematical games showing how impossible abiogenesis and evolution is, one to the billionth power some say, to which I reply, "Easy enough for God to do." When I think of the evolution of the whale, from the terrestrial pakicetus to our modern day whales...THERE IS A GOD AT WORK HERE! :-D

• Dave D

I believe that evolution is true but also believe that it could not have possibly happened without an intelligent guide. Even Darwin stated that the Cambrian Explosion cast serious doubts on his theory of natural selection. In the cosmically short period of 20 million years THOUSANDS of species made a jump from being single cell organisms to biological beings with numerous complex organs doing specific tasks. And to date, NONE of these thousands of species left traces in the fossil record of the needed intermediate steps in the process.

Where there IS a trace of evolution is in the Bible if you look at the order of appearance of living things in Genesis 1, Vegetation, sea life, "Great Sea Monsters",birds, mammals ("livestock") and finally man, you will notice that it follows the evolutionary appearance of life. Also note that the Bible does NOT say that God instantly created vegetation and living things. In both cases Genesis states that He charged the EARTH to produce them. So abiogenesis and evolution were both parts of God's method of creation.

neither position is supported by The Bible. that's why this is such a stupid argument. it presupposes that The Bible is a Science book yet Science is constantly changing because the Scientists are always being proven wrong and constantly proving The Bible is right.

I don't think Evolution is in the Bible, and I don't think that Evolution is important. It's so unimportant. I am amused that so many people who talk about Evolution come to a religion and spirituality site to bring it up so often.

Evolution is boring.

Interest in extinct animals and plants does not demand evolution be interesting.

Source(s): bisexual Christian