Erick asked in HealthDental · 2 years ago

can socket holes be stitched?

My lower wisdom tooth was partially erupted, but impacted. I was able to see and feel it. During the extraction procedure, i saw the surgeon taking a scapel and making an incision. Then he took some sutures and stitched up the incisions. I forgot to ask him if he also stitched the socket hole. Is that possible?

ALSO, it has already been 1 whole week since i had 3 of my wisdom teeth removed. What comes next? The sutures are still there, but coming loose

• Joe

It's pretty common for the stitches to come loose, or pop out, as you heal. He probably used dissolving sutures.

He closed the surgical incision with the sutures. They don't usually stitch over the tooth socket. Don't worry about it: the gum will close over the socket during the course of healing.

This all sounds pretty normal.

speaking as someone who had all four out 6 months ago, the socket holes fill in naturally. It actually takes a month or more to close up, starting with the jaw bone up to the surface of the gums. My sutures gradually fell out and let me tell you, its not fun having to pull those things out of your mouth once they're totally loose... it's like pulling a hair out of your mouth but grosser lol

I hope this helps!