Ria S
Lv 4
Ria S asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 10 months ago

Drainage holes in basement?

Let me start off by saying that I live in an old house Built-in 1922. i have 2 drainage holes 2 feet from each other l (in basement). 1 is covered (loose lid) the other has a small cover like the one in a shower with small holes in it. Suddenly its been overflowing with sewage ONLY when i was clothes. It never happens when we shower or even bath & theirs 6 of us. We are not on a septic tank either. Why would this be happening? Can i seal them with cement? Can i cover them with drainage covers? but how would i cover the drain with holes? Please help!

Mother of 4

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago
    Best answer

It may be what the other answers have suggested...that you have a partial blockage and the washer is pumping out water faster than the drain can handle. I have one other thought. Since your house is old, it may not always have been connected to municipal sewerage. Back then, it was common to take some stress off the septic system by connecting gray water (like your washer and basement floor drains) into a "dry well".....or simply by-passing the septic tank and going directly to the leach field.

There is a possibility that when the city hooked your house to the sewer, that line was missed and your washer is still draining into an old dry well. It would be worth tracing your drainage pipes from the bathroom and kitchen to see if they all end up connected to the same line as the washer. Ultimately, there should be one line leaving the basement to connect to the municipal system. If your washer isn t connected to that line, you might consider making it so.

• Spock (rhp)
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

if she's getting sewage backup, there isn't a dry well on the end of the drain line -- thus, there's definitely a sewer line problem. plumber needs to power snake it and report.

• M.
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

You need to fix the PROBLEM (clear whatever is plugging the pipe, likely outside of the house), not the SYMPTOM (plugging the holes in the cover).

Old houses have 2 drainage systems, a sanitary drain and a storm drain, that may or may not be combined outside the house.

Get a sewer cleaning guy with a camera, and have him look in both your pipes.

My 1929 house is the same.

I found tree roots in the one pipe about 20 feet away from the house, going to the sanitary main.

My sewer guy had a high pressure root cutting machine that sliced up the roots into tiny pieces and it all floated away.

He looked first with a camera.

Don't use a guy with a "snake". They do not totally eliminate the blockage.

You want to see a "before" and "after" view of the problem.

Hope that it is not a rotten or collapsed pipe. That would need to be dug up and replaced, and costs thousands of dollars!

• 10 months ago

Snake the pipes. The washer dumps 30 gallons of water into the drain. quickly with a pump. You have a partial clog beyond the the second basement drain..

• 10 months ago

the worst, which you may have, is that tree roots have grown into the drain line somewhere down toward the street [where the connection to the municipal sewer is]. what happens is they block the flow of "solids" but allow less than optimal amounts of liquids to pass through. You've detected this because the washing machine dumps five to seven gallons of water in all at once -- and that's more than the nearly blocked sewer line can pass quickly -- so it backs up -- including some of the "solids" that can't pass the roots.

A plumber and his power snake can clear this. He'll likely need to snake both the washing machine drain line [from the roof vent] and then find the cleanout access outside the house [although it might be in the basement] and snake downstream from there.

How far the snake goes in from the cleanout access until it hits the obstruction tells the plumber where the obstruction is. If his powered auger [snake] chews through it, you might be good for another year or three -- while the roots grow back. then it'll have to be done again. and again. until the roots break up the sewer line and the line has to be replaced.

You want to put off replacing the sewer line. That has to be done to current code -- which, in my brother's case got him a quote of about eighteen thousand dollars [$18,000] in a large suburb up north. Trenching would be required from the house to the municipal connection and an entirely new line laid and properly backfilled.

removing these roots/obstructions is your obligation if a) you own the property, and b) the obstruction is before the municipal sewer line [as it almost always is].

of course, if you are a tenant, this is the landlord's problem.

Source(s): grampa
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 months ago

there is a blockage outside . A plumber is needed to clear it

• shroud
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

best thing you can do is get a plumber to look at them

they might need to be snaked clean

the plumber would also be the one that could say if you can seal them up or not

• 10 months ago

I agree with Joe, sounds like the washing machine is overwhelming the drainage, probably due to a partial clog. When they pump out they really pump out!

You need a professional to look at it and thoroughly clean the pipes out. Ask him/her about the drains in the basement too, they may well be essential and can't be blocked off but see what he says. Ask your neighbours if they can recommend someone.

• Joe
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

A draining washing machine dumps water into your drain line faster than any other source in your house.

Sounds to me like you've got a partially-blocked sewer line. You'll need a professional to clear it.

• 10 months ago

Look for an outside drain cover and lift to check

the waste is flowing freely. Whatever the problem you will need a drain rod to clear it.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

you would NOT want to cover them.............they are there to drain any water that gets into the basement..............you need to have a plumber look & inspect

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.