Can a be removed from my home?

My ex father in law helped me get a house but it’s in his name. I have been paying rent as well as The property tax for the past ten years. I have one year left of paying before the house is officially paid off and it’s about $15,000 left. My father in law passed away about two years again and the landlord didn’t know until a few days ago. He came to me this morning and said he wants the 15k by the end of the month or he’s going to sell the house. He said he made the deal with my ex father in law not me but he knows I am the one who has been staying here and paying him monthly. I’ve worked hard for the past 10 years and I raised my 3 children here and to lose the house when I’m so close to finish paying it off sucks. I just want to know if there’s any legal route I can take to keep my house?

If the house is not technically yours and was never his and is technically owned by a landlord then you may have to move sorry to say. From what your saying here it also I’m guessing sounds like to me the other guy didn’t really own the place just the payments he was making is under his name.

So by default you likely will have to move.

• Tara

You need to know the law of your State … and more information … like who owns the house (whose name the deed is in) -- was their a lease-to-own contract made -- or any kind of legal document made ? If your FIL made a simple deal - and not legal - it could probably simply mean that your FIL was did a favor (which holds no legal holding). If there is nothing legal tying you to the house -- and you are just a renter -- the real owner of the house can whatever they want with the house.

• Athena

How can you paying off the house if it has a landlord?

If you are just paying "rent" then the lease is the legal document you have to follow.

Were you LEGALLY allowed to live there, or were you an illegal sub-let??

The "deal" was made with someone you have no legal standing with.

Do you have a piece of paper that says the house is yours once you pay the final amount AND is their a time limit on when that amount has to be paid?

There are NO VERBAL AGREEMENTS in property law.

You need everything spelled out on paper.

Unless the agreement specifically says YOU take over the responsibilities and benefits once your father-in-law dies, the landlord is correct.

You may want to buy an hour or two of a Real-estate attorney's time in your are and see what your legal rights are.

It can't be in your ex father in law's name and the landlord's name at the same time. It it's in the landlord's name, then the ex father in law must have had a 'land contract' sort of arrangement with the landlord, who I'm sure knows about the arrangement with you - and also knows that he's got you, legally. You have nothing to prove ownership and he has title to the property and there isn't anything in writing to prove otherwise.

So, you need to see a lawyer, to find out whose name is on the title, and also to try to find out what this 'deal' was the landlord admits to making with the ex father in law.

You said the house is in your father in law's name and would be paid of in less than a year.

Later, you mention a landlord.

Those to statement contradict each other and if EITHER is true, it was never your house.

Short, answer, you need an attorney to sort out the mess you have under either scenario.

You have been renting the house, you haven't been buying it. You ex father in law may have had an agreement to buy the place eventually (that the landlord likely would've ignored anyhow) but you never did and you knew this when you continued paying the monthly fee/rent. Of course you have no recourse since you never owned the house or had any agreement to buy the house. You knew this when you took over renting the place but chose to ignore this hoping the housing fairy would grant you this house in your ex father in laws place but it didn't happen. Now move on, this is the agreement you made when you took over renting the place and there is no chance you didn't realize this.

• Eva

You should have had a written purchase (land contract) agreement with your father-in-law. You could apply for a mortgage to pay the balance but it would probably take longer than 30 days to close. The landlord cannot evict you the way he's gone about it. You need legal advice and fast. Call your county bar association to get a referral to the local legal aid association or an attorney. You also need to know what the terms of your father-in-laws will was so that you know who actually owns the house now. The landlord may be bluffing.

• Judy

It's not YOUR house unless you inherited it ffrom your ex-fil and you are not close to paying it off, rent does not go toward owning it. Even if that's what he intended, if he didn't put it in writing, it's not yours and yes you can be removed/. If you have something in writing signed by him that you were buying it from him, or if he left it to you in his will, see a lawyer. Who is the landlord? good luck

Your uncle's estate may be able to take ownership of the house at contract completion, but unless the property was specifically willed to you, its up to the heirs (collectively) as to how it is used (in the same way your uncle could have changed his mind about giving it to you). Thus it is possible you could be removed, especially if you stop paying and putting the contract in breach.

It's not your house it belongs to your landlord...start packing.