Said I haven't been arrested in a job application but I have?

Hey, so I made a big mistake today at a job interview at Target. So the interview went really well, I ended up getting the job and they proceeded to give me an orientation date for the beginning of November. However, when asked if I had been arrested, I had said no. I was pretty nervous at the time, this is my first Job Interview and I had no intentions in lying or anything but I was arrested and put on probation at the age of 17 for assault. I made a mistake, I understand that but my question is, will affect me and will I possibly not get the job or is there any way out this situation I put myself in. I wanted to put that I have been arrested after, but I felt like I was too late. No rude comments please, just a guy looking for some answers. Please, and thank you.

Lying on a resume/application is cause for not hiring you. Never EVER lie on those.

• Judy

Did you really think they'd just ask and take your word for it and not do a background check? Since you were a minor at the time, it might not show up. If it does, they'll pull the job offer, or fire you if you've already started work.

Were you tried as a juvenile or as an adult? If you were tried as a juvenile, those records should be sealed by the court. If you were tried as an adult, you should have mentioned it on the application. Any background check would only be done on adult offenses, I am quite sure.

In most states, you will show a juvenile record for such an offense. Juvenile records are not open to the public, which includes companies conducting background checks on employees. They cannot see the arrest, you don't tell them, everything is copacetic.

In my state, a 17 year old is charged as an adult for everything, so the arrest would show in a background check. This would almost certainly mean the job offer would be cancelled, or you would be let go if you had already started. Not a 100% thing, depends on management as well, but very likely to be enough to lose the job.

If they catch it, you will lose the job for misrepresentation (lying).

Assault is not petty by any means....

• Jeff

Just keep your mouth shut. If they find it, they find it. An explanation is nothing more than an excuse.