i have a great tv, nice receiver, A+ sub-woofer - but i'm debating on buying a cheap set of surround speakers. will i notice a difference?

If you don't currently have surround speakers, cheap ones is better then nothing. Good ones by far are preferred.

When surround sound first came out, the rear speakers were often a third the power (I still have a radio shack receiver that was 50W/channel front three, 20W/channel for each of the rears, for the few videos that had Dolby, it sounded pretty good for the time, maybe 30 years ago.)

Buying cheap speakers is like putting cheap retreads on a Mercedes automobile. Stupid.

The good news is that these days, there are good quality speakers to be had for relatively low costs. Look at brands such as Polk, Infinity, JBL, and Klipsch, to name but four.

I've bought good quality gently used speakers for great prices, but it helps that I know a fair amount about such products and their new and used values.

NEVER buy cheap speakers.

If you want decent sound, each cabinet will cost at least $200,

so expect to spend $1,000 or more for a set of matched

left, right, center, and 2 surrounds.

It is best that they are not only the same brand,

but the same model, or at least from the same series.

Go to a store (NOT one full of geeks)

where you can listen to a proper setup.

Then ask to hear a mismatched setup

so you will readily know the difference.

Having a cheap set of speakers with good source equipment

is like wearing a tuxedo with (brown) tennis shoes to a White House function.

I know people take severe liberties these days, but I hope you get the idea.