I have a receiver that calls for 6 - 18OHM speakers. My speakers are 3OHM. Is it possible to burn up the receiver?

I'm asking because my receiver has stopped working - power button just blinks and will not turn on.

YES. You will note that running speakers rated at a lower than recommended Ohm rating caused your receiver to get extremely hot. This is because it is transferring electricity through them at a much faster rate than the circuitry was meant to contend with. Your receiver is set up to handle nominal 8 ohm loads or better. They tell you this for a reason, my friend.

the way you put it makes me think if you don't smell burning hopefully you just tripped it into protect mode. Does it make a clicking sound? if so hold out and buy some appropriate speakers

Lets say an amplifier is designed for 8Ω speakers. This means that the maximum power transfer happens when the speakers are 8Ω. Using 8Ω speakers with an 8Ω amplifier is the most efficient. If the speaker is either 4Ω or 16Ω, they amplifier will have to work about twice as hard to power the speaker. The math says exactly twice as hard but it's an amp, not a resistor.

So yes, running a low Ω speaker can damage an amplifier.

Your problem sounds more like a power supply issue to me. Try googling the receiver model number and power light blinks and see what you get. That may be the receiver telling you what is going on.