The age to buy lotto tickets is 18. As a new proprieter of a gas station, would I have to be a total schmuck to check IDs and enforce this?

Lottery tickets may be age restricted purchases, but it's not like alcohol or tobacco where the police are going to do sting operations over it. I have never heard of police sending minors into stores to try to buy lottery tickets. That said, if someone who looks like they may be underage comes into my store... show more Lottery tickets may be age restricted purchases, but it's not like alcohol or tobacco where the police are going to do sting operations over it.

I have never heard of police sending minors into stores to try to buy lottery tickets.

That said, if someone who looks like they may be underage comes into my store to buy lottery tickets, what's in it for me to check their ID?

Say some underage teen purchases a ticket that wins a large enough payout that they must go to a lottery office to claim the prize.

If the minor is dumb enough to fill out and sign the back of the ticket themself, or go there alone to try and claim the prize, as opposed to having a trusted adult do it for them, thus finding themselves with a ticket they cannot redeem, then what's it to me?

Seems like it's their problem at that point.

Sure, the lottery company (yes, it is run by a private company on behalf of the State, and they give the State a certain percentage for public school funding) could theoretically revoke my selling privileges, but they make a larger percentage off of the sales than the stores do and miss out on more money than said store by doing so.

As a result, they don't tend to shoot themselves in the foot like that over small violations.

What say you?