Can anybody tell me which way up baking foil should be used - one side is shiney and the other not so there has to be a right and wrong way?

Update:

Oh boy - the world is as confused about this as I have been, since forever! I'll continue to put the foil on, whever way it happens to come off the roll LOL.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favourite answer

Doesn't matter. Reynolds and several other companies have debunked that thought long ago.

• Verulam 1
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

I have a feeling you are right - if it did matter, it would surely be on the box but I've never seen any such instruction.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 years ago

Shiny side toward the food.

• 2 years ago

Foil is very thin, and it is pressed in double layers and then separated. The sides that were together are dull, and the two outter sides are shiny. There is no difference when it comes to cooking.

• John
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

It's metal, it conducts heat. It's exactly like asking which is the right direction to go through a door:

The continuous casting method is much less energy intensive and has become the preferred process.[8] For thicknesses below 0.025 mm (1 mil), two layers are usually put together for the final pass and afterwards separated which produces foil with one bright side and one matte side.[9] The two sides in contact with each other are matte and the exterior sides become bright; this is done to reduce tearing, increase production rates, control thickness, and get around the need for a smaller diameter roller.[9]

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

The shiney side should touch the food

• 2 years ago

Oh boy I cannot believe the level of ignorance on this! The shiny side is actually coated with a very thin heat-resistant plastic. The shiny side should always be facing the food whether you are cooking or just using it for storage in the fridge. This is especially important if what it is next to is acidic, and you do not want your food contaminated with aluminum!

This advice should appear on the carton of any baking foil that you purchase!

• ...Show all comments
    • Verulam 1
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

"This advice should appear on the carton of any baking foil that you purchase!" Yes it should, but it isn't!! So clearly it doesn't really matter......

• 2 years ago

Unless you're making a hat to keep the mind control lasers out, it doesn't make a difference if you use the shiny side up or down.

• Cei
    Lv 5
    2 years ago

The only reason there's one shiny side is that is the side that was being pressed when the foil made.

Thee was a study I read (seriously) that proved it made not difference what way round you actually used it.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Husband Chef for 50 years says shiny side up. It conducts the heat.

• Salt and Peppy
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

LMAO! A chef of 50 years should know it doesn't matter what side is up.

• 2 years ago

There is no right and wrong way. One was on the roller and one was being pressed. There is zero difference in their function.

• DCM5150
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

How are their 3 thumbs down on a correct answer?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.