how many days do you eat leftovers. my dad thinks leftovers are only good to eat the day you cook it and the day after?

i, however, think thats a waste of time and money. i spend $50 dollars for an intricate meal it better last me from monday-friday. i made lasagana and it cost a ton of money for all of the ingredients and spices. i made it from scratch too. i don't like throwing away food because its a waste of money to me.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Best answer

If your meals are to be more than one day after you prepare them then it would be useful to invest in some suitable one serve containers and just freeze them until they are required; no waste. I prepare family sized meals for only 2 of us, so there is often a precooked homemade meal handy in the freezer. I lived in the tropics and would never have prepared food in the fridge to eat more than one day after. Made it a habit to take the evenings meal out of the freezer in the morning and put in the fridge section to thaw out for the day. If plans changed for the evening meal it would be fine for the following day too. I don’t think it would be suitable to keep lasagne in a fridge for a whole week; I would not be tempted to eat that, and I would not like to eat the same thing every day either.

• Anna E
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

I don't keep leftovers more than 3 days. If I make enough to last me a week, I freeze part of it and thaw it and heat when needed.

• 1 year ago

My rule was 2 days but I proved myself wrong. I ate something which was 4 days old. It’s good until it’s not good anymore basically.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Freeze well some of it, for up to a year, and refrigerator the leftovers for up to 3 days.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

toss it when it no longer tastes good.

Some foods do go off sooner than others though, depending on how you wrap it and how its handled after you cook it.

Your dad is a germaphobe. There is no reasoning with them.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

A friend of mine flat out Refuses to eat leftovers. If I make an elaborate meal for him, he either sends the leftovers home with me or throws them away. Never understood that. But then again he also considers White Castle good food. So go figure.

• 1 year ago

Usually five to seven days

• 1 year ago

That’s just silly.

Most leftovers if refrigerated promptly are still “good” for at least five days.

I’d say fish might be more like 3.

There will be texture differences in leftovers right away for things that are deep fried (which is so unhealthy better to skip altogether anyway).

Many dishes are actually better on the second day, although I’m not sure they get better after that. Examples would be the lasagne you mentioned, beef stew, things that the flavors meld after a day or so.

I have almost always lived alone and it’s hard to cook one traditional type meal for one person so I am almost always cooking multiple servings so I have prepared food available for a day or two. I often cook big, then freeze servings in one or two serving sized containers so I have fast and easy food available when I’m busy. In fact, tonight I got home late and had a roasted chicken breast with fennel and orange that I made a few weeks ago and had tucked away in the freezer. That with a microwaved potato from my neighbors garden and green beans from mine, was an excellent meal that took about 10 minutes.

• Dimo
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

Your dad probably grow up with a rather pitiful refrigerator, one kept food 45°F to 55°F.

Only one day would be if you don't have a refrigerator.

The inside of my 'fridge is 40°F and plastic wrapped leftovers are good for at least a week.

I generally use the leftovers for lunch, and rarely the second day.

Lasagna is used for lunch the next day, since it is an "if you snooze, you lose" leftover.

• 1 year ago

That depends on what kind of leftovers. Some are good for days, some are not

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.