Can I legally get fired?

I’m 16 I work st McDonald’s(its Sunday) they want me to close the store but I refused since it’s a school night. Can I get fired? I live in Illinois

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

They can but they won't. Tell them it's a school night and your parents won't lert you stay out that late on a school night.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • 1 year ago

Although Illinois is an at-will state, there could be laws in your local area governing how late a 16-year-old is allowed to work on a school night. We have these laws where I live. You could still be terminated, but they could not say it was for cause.

• 1 year ago

Yes you can.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Unless shutting the shop was considered part of your duties when you took the shop then they cannot fire you, check your work contract,but it is not their problem if it is a school night, maybe you need a job with different hours.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Yes. They don't need any reason to fire you. As long as they aren't discriminating according to federal rules, any firing is legal.

• 1 year ago

You can, yes.

• J M
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Yes. This is an issue you should have addressed before you took the job.

• 1 year ago

Illinois is an "at will" state. That means that you are hired 'at will' and they can fire you for any reason at all, or no reason. There are a few reasons that are illegal, like your age, gender, religion, etc. But staying away from those things, they can fire you at any moment just because they don't like your looks.

It seems unfair, but you know you can also quit for any reason or no reason.

If they hired you at 16, they must have KNOWN you wouldn't be able to work late on school nights. It's dumb for them t make an issue of it now.

• Huh?
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Yes you can get fired, but their request might violate your state's child labor laws.

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

yes. since you'd be leaving it open for anyone to come in and potentially burglarize and vandalize. you'd also possibly be liable for any such damages. though, you could press a case on their end for lack of judgement for letting someone your age with that responsibility.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.