How do you deal with people laughing at you?

I work for a charity that helps homeless and people with drug addictions get to medical appointments. We are required to use our own vehicle and In turn we get reimbursed for gas, mileage, and they cover all maintenance expenses. My issue is that people see me picking these people up and dropping them off and I... show more I work for a charity that helps homeless and people with drug addictions get to medical appointments. We are required to use our own vehicle and In turn we get reimbursed for gas, mileage, and they cover all maintenance expenses. My issue is that people see me picking these people up and dropping them off and I always have this fear that people are assuming that I am picking up these people for illicit purposes. As I was leaving my condo one of the guys who maintains the property snickered in my face. He did it like he knows something about me. I think he’s from that lower income area where I work, and he might see me picking up those drug addict prostitutes. I would quit but I enjoy helping people and it pays a lot of money.
28 answers 28