Please read this and tell me what you think I should do?

I have been working for 3 years and I am one of the most reliable worker on the job. My boss rely on me for almost everything including doing the boss work too. So few times boss will ask me about my social life and stuff. Boss have a poor childhood life and family didn’t have money. I didn’t have that problem growing up. So one day I feel like I need a raise after I was doing all this work and stuff. So I asked the boss for a raise the boss said oh you don’t need the money you had a good childhood life and your family got money and will take care of you. I am like huh this doesn’t make any sense and boss said just stay quiet and keep working. What do you think I should do?

you boss should tell you that your "speech" is horrible..........it's almost ebonic and not understandable

My first response would have been, "Then You officially have my 2 weeks notice of me quitting for such egregious incompetence f*cker". Though I would be sure to have another job right away, all lined up first. For almost ALL business, the ONLY way to get a real raise at all is to continue job hunting, and pit the companies against each other, and get a whole other lot of rip off thieves bosses like that.

• Zol

Your boss is using a form of emotional abuse to con you out of a decent wage.

Firstly I'd say stop telling your boss your private life.

Then I'd suggest you need an honest living wage for what you do, because your parents aren't supporting you any longer (or because you want to leave home & start living independently, with your own flat, car etc).

You could tell your boss you enjoy your work & are happy to work there, but that you feel you're doing more than you're paid for. How dare he say you don't need the money!!?

It's not his place to decide what you need. So I'd suggest you ask for a raise again. If they refuse again I'd suggest you stop doing the 'boss work' over & above the role you're paid for, & only do what your job you're paid for involves. Then I'd suggest you say you want advance your career & income, & will be looking for other work elsewhere if needs be. Chances are if this boss is coming to rely on you they may want to step down from management, so you could ask about you stepping into the role of being the boss yourself, or if not the boss then a member of the management.

• Lili

Bring the subject up again and say, "I am not supported by my parents now, I am totally self-supporting. I may not have been poor as a child, but there wasn't a great estate to inherit, and I have the same expenses everyone else does. I feel that my work and my reliability have earned me an increase in salary."

If he's not responsive, you may want to consider looking for a new job.