How should I go about this so as not to offend an old friend?

I have a friend that I knew since I was a teenager (I am now middle-aged). We lost touch for over 30 years. I looked her up a few years ago just to see how she was doing. We got together a couple of times and I noticed that she had changed. She remained single with no children and smokes. I am divorced with children and do not smoke. I feel that we have changed.

After three and a half years out of the blue, she came back all of the sudden on a text and wanted to get together right away. I don't know why but I have this weird gut feeling to not get together with her but just to keep in touch by phone. I made an excuse to not get together. Should I go with my gut feeling? Or give in and get together with this old friend?

• -

It doesn't sound like you have anything in common with this friend which could be the reason why you have this "weird gut feeling." Follow your intuition.

Did they say why they wanted to get together. Whilst it does seem odd there may be a genuine reason. However that said, if your gut says no then go with it. Its usually right.

• Cogito

The fact that she has no children and you do, or about the smoking, is irrelevant. Most people would not consider either of those differences important at all.

But if you really don't want to be friends with her any more, just say that you lead a very busy life and although you can stay in touch by text or phone, you really don't have time for anything more than that.