Not
Not asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 3 years ago

End these two sentences, please.?

If life has meaning then...

If life doesn't have meaning then...

If life has meaning then... what is it and why and who says so?

If life doesn't have meaning then... what difference does it make? We are here anyway and we will be until we die so it makes sense to live it in a mutually supportive way because that makes it best for all of us. It is not a meaning, just a rational way to live.

• Gil

Life does have meaning.

• Shahid

‘I paid 400 dinars, that is one week’s salary. The smugglers had taken old commercial fishing boats – some so old they weren’t supposed to be used – put new engines in and given them to people they knew. The “captain” of the ship might not even know the way to Italy. He might not even have been a captain before.

When the ship set off, we were worried about the engines breaking down, but we soon realised the biggest problem was the waves. The boat wasn’t built for the journey and it was flipped up every time a big wave hit. All I could do was say my last prayer – I felt like I was dead already.’

The African refugees to Europe have a number of reason behind their perilous journey across dangerous borders, burning deserts, and through treacherous places wanting to exploit hapless people for cheap labour. There is poverty, there is hunger. There is political unrest, fighting, genocide and rape. There is famine, drought and disease. The conditions for life could be too crushingly harsh for the continuation of hope, for the human spirit to survive, and for the homelands to support and accommodate their children.

The European countries have all that the refugee risk their lives for many times over during their dash for a better life, or it does not. In either case, most of the refugees trying to get to Europe strongly believe that in any case, they are in for a good chance. They know nothing will be easy or freely available, but if they work hard then they will earn what they come seeking after, risking their everything.

If life has meanings then everyone has to work hard to understand, to live up to. But if life does not have meanings, even then everyone who comes to life needs to create ones of their own, quite in keeping with the nature of the world the house of life. In the case of the later, one not only needs to work hard but also something to rest their faith in.

If life has meaning then that means that I gave it one.

If life doesn't have meaning then I'll give it one.

it's meaningful

it's meaningless

Oh

If life has meaning then LIVE... If life doesn't have meaning then...LIVE AGAIN

If life has meaning, we can live for that meaning, or reject that meaning and die. If life doesn't have meaning, we can live for no reason at all, and we could be good without a reason.

If life has meaning then, why live?

If life doesn't have meaning then, why live?

• Lee

*than.