Taylor asked in PetsFish · 3 years ago

Moving to SC from IA. 15 hour drive. How do I transport my fish?

I have two very large oscars. Two very larg plecos. Three catfish. Three angel fish. And a livingstonii cichlid. As of right now my plan is to put them in 5 gallon buckets and hope they make it. Does anyone else have any better ideas?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Favourite answer

Not a problem ,, I have done many times till now.. Travelled for 30 HOUR'S IN CAR AND BUS WITH GOLD FISH FULL OF PLASTIC BAG FILL HALF with WATER AND HALF WITH AIR

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Talk to a tropical fish store. It can be done but most people choose to rehome fish locally. That is a very long drive and you would need special tanks, etc. to transport these fish and hope they survive.

• 3 years ago

Transport in heavy duty clear plastic bags, half filled with water and filled with air before sealing (like when you buy fish) and put these in an insulated container. (Esky, chilly bin, cooler, ice box etc)

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Seriously consider giving away the fish.

Moving is hard enough without moving the tank and live fish.

But yes, it can be done.

Also take the dirty filter materials in tank water.

Use large plastic totes, they're often better than buckets and hold more water.

Use buckets to fill the totes halfway with tank water, do the same at the new location. Use your siphon and you can move water easier than filing the totes and trying to carry them.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

contact some fish stores near you, or online, and ask their advice

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Have a fish fry before you go 🍳🍺

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.