Using all give parenting styles, how would you address this situation?

You and your spouse have been called into your son's school. Apparently he skipped school yesterday in order to buy tickets for an upcoming concert to his favorite band

i’d punish him but let him go to the concert

• Laura
      2 years agoReport

How is that punishment?

• LizB

Depends on too many factors for me to say for sure what I'd do. If he was 18, he would have the legal right to check himself out of school whenever he wanted, so I don't feel like there's much to punish. If this was an extremely rare incident of skipping school and he was otherwise a disciplined student, then while there would be consequences, I think being overly harsh for a first offense could be counterproductive. But if this was a pattern of misbehavior, that would be a more serious problem to address. Starting with confiscating the concert tickets would be something of a no-brainer in that case.

This is too vague. How old is he? Did he miss the whole day? Has this happened before? Is it a concert you wouldn't let him go to if he had asked permission?

I have no idea what to tell you without knowing any of this, other than the obvious fact there should be consequences.

I would talk to him about why he felt the need to skip his studies and buy the tickets when he could have just ASKED HIS PARENTS TO GET THEM FOR HIM! Little snot.

However, also knowing how important it is to see his favorite band, I would still let him go, but this would be it. Grounded, no phone, no internet, and the concert would be the last hoorah for a good, long while. I can give and take and understand how hard it can be to get tickets. Seriously, I think taking the concert away would do more harm than good here, BUT also taking away everything else up until that point would be a good lesson and to not skip school for something like this, but to ask mom and dad. UGH.