Was it necessary to apologize?

I had work today at a different site than I'm usually at. I'm leaving to see my family in Chile. Anyways, so I didn't show up to my site and my boss called me to see if I was okay. She asked me if I was okay because it's not like me for not to show up to work. I told her that I was too busy packing... show more I had work today at a different site than I'm usually at. I'm leaving to see my family in Chile. Anyways, so I didn't show up to my site and my boss called me to see if I was okay. She asked me if I was okay because it's not like me for not to show up to work. I told her that I was too busy packing and getting ready that I forgot that I had to work. Then I went on and on about how sorry I was. She said she understood and said she knows I had to get ready and kinda realized I was busy. I went to the site and told the person in charge there that I was sorry for not showing up. She told me that it was okay. Then she asked if i was okay and I told her that I wasn't and that I felt really bad and she said I was fine because I was packing stuff to go to chile. She smiled and put her hand on my back and told me not to worry. I told her I would be willing to receive any punishment and I would take it. She saw I was ready to cry and she told me to have fun on my trip and to not even worry about what I did. My boss called and heard what I did. She sees me as responsible and reliable and knows I obey her a lot more than the others do. I told her to punish me, but she said no and then said I should stop being so self critical.