Why did my new antivirus program just detect something the old one missed?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

Different programs can work in different ways, and can therefore pick up different items. Although some people may advise against it, I find it useful to have more than one such program, to try and cover all possibilities.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 years ago

It depends on what your new anti-virus found. Was it labeled as "Adware" or something more serious like "Trojan, Malware, etc."

If it was labeled as Adware, that most commonly is confused for "cookies" which are natural to come across in day to day browsing, nearly all websites today use cookies. It is not serious, and a lot of anti-viruses don't notify you of them since they are borderline non-threatening.

If the detection your new anti-virus was labeled as something like "spyware, trojan or malware" it is something to be more concerned of. If your new anti-virus was able to detect it, then you need to uninstall your old anti-virus and stay away from it. In continuation to what Jim said, each anti-virus has its own definitions list and what it particularly looks for and recognizes as a threat.

There are security softwares that are specialized in certain types of threats. Malwarebytes focuses on malware, and may not detect other forms of viruses. Super Anti-Spyware is used to look for spyware, but is also pretty good at detecting other types of viruses. Other all-around anti-virus softwares like BitDefender and Webroot are on the top list of best anti-viruses. Webroot stands out due to their method of keeping up to date, which is all done through the cloud, which means you never need to manually update or scan, everything is done silently in the background, and is very accurate in what it detects.

When it comes down to it, no anti-virus will find "everything". There are some that will find things quicker, and handle them better than others, but there is no perfect anti-virus. You'll need to do your part and just pay attention to shady looking websites, or suspicious activity on your computer. Don't open attachments in your email from anyone that you do not know, or didn't expect, things like that.

I would never suggest having two all-around anti-viruses, since they contain firewalls, some have a tendency to see each other as a threat. I will however, always suggest having two forms of anti-virus. A premium anti-virus like BitDefender, Webroot, Norton, etc. in mixture with a specialty protection like Malwarebytes or Super Anti-Spyware. They will not interfere with each other, and will provide you with overall better protection.

I hope this helps!

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Friend I have found by experience that Avast antivirus will detect and remove many more viruses and malware then the paid anti-viruses

I frequently use Avast to clean up the mess that some of those big-name paid anti-viruses leave behind

• kathys
    Lv 4
    2 years ago

I just read the thread you posted above and it explained the importance of having both anti-virus software like Norton (which would proactively check a website for malware as you visit it (or supposedly it does that), as well as a program like Malwarebytes (which deals with malware in a much more ...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jim
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

Every antivirus has its own list of malware that it knows about.

That's why these days those of us who understand that fact use next-generation multi-antivirus software.

Single style antiviruses died out years ago and the proof is in the fact that your were infected with something that only one single antivirus caught.

If you were to install another antivirus you would find stuff both of them missed.

Hackers use advanced malware so don't expect to stop them with an old school single antivirus. Years ago that worked but not today and for sure not tomorrow

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.