How to make friends when you suffer social anxiety and low self esteem?

A lot of people label me as antisocial because I’m quiet. I’m not antisocial, I’m just don’t know if people like me. I’ve been picked on throughout high school years for my looks. That made me really shy and introverted. I’m afraid that people will mock me if I just walk up to them and try to be friendly. I had... show more A lot of people label me as antisocial because I’m quiet. I’m not antisocial, I’m just don’t know if people like me. I’ve been picked on throughout high school years for my looks. That made me really shy and introverted. I’m afraid that people will mock me if I just walk up to them and try to be friendly. I had orientation for a new job that I start this Sunday. All of the people kept asking why I was so quiet and getting an attitude. I mostly sit and observe. I don’t really like to interact with people that seem drama filled and these people were already gossiping about each other, loud, etc. They didn’t seem nice.
I don’t know how I can fake being outgoing. I just can’t do that.

I want to make friends but I don’t want to come off as antisocial were they don’t like me. How can I build confidence? What ways can I make new friends?