Was it legal for Michael Flynn to make contact with other countries, particularly Russia, as part of the then-Trump transition team?

I ask because it is my understanding that with every incoming U.S. of A. Presidential administration, after winning an election, someone is assigned to make contact with the leaders of their nations, Russia included. And such a procedure is legal. So why all the fuss with Michael Flynn and not anyone else from... show more I ask because it is my understanding that with every incoming U.S. of A. Presidential administration, after winning an election, someone is assigned to make contact with the leaders of their nations, Russia included. And such a procedure is legal. So why all the fuss with Michael Flynn and not anyone else from past Presidential administrations?