Taylor B asked in SportsMartial Arts · 3 years ago

Why does age matter in a fight?

Say if a 21 year old had to defend themselves against a 30 year old or ages older. Why can't a 21 year old beat or be just as strong to handle them? If thats the case what age is a young man able to handle a older man in a fight? I don't understand why the human body operates like that.... I just think it's pure stupid!? Why can't we exceed our limits?Is there away to make you body develop faster or be stronger then a older persons?

• JoeC

I don't think it really starts factoring in until you get around 35. That's when I first starting saying "I'm getting too old for this". That's when things like injuries and burnout start kicking in. As a 20-30 year old, I was indestructible (or I thought), and I could train all day and never get injured no matter how hard I went. Now If I injure myself by overtraining (which is very common now), I have to take about two to four weeks to recover, so my cardio and strength deteriorate.

Being a senior citizen I can speak first hand to this probably. I am still quick for instance but my reflexes have slowed somewhat from what they were before. Then there is the healing process and while I can still take a shot and some punishment it takes a lot longer for me to recover or heal up from aches, pains, strains, etc. than it once did when I was younger. Strength wise I have lost about 20-25% of my strength and at one time I wore a size 44-46 coat and 30 waist pants. Now I wear a 44 inch coat and 34 waist pants. Still many people think and believe I am 20-25 years younger because of the shape I am in and my appearance but I myself can see and tell the difference even if they can't. I will also add I don't train or workout anymore. 25 plus years of that were enough and so now I do other things for fitness like mow my lawn with a push mower, or maintenance on my home or help others with such things.

• Bon

You don't get it because you think it is all physical. Has it ever occur to you that an older fighter has this thing call "experience"? The thing about the young is they they concentrate so much on the body and rarely if ever that thing between the ears.

• Taylor B3 years agoReport

No you don't get it! Have it ever occurred to you that even some youths can have more experience in fighting? That alot of times experience dont mean ****! Aswell.

• Paul

age doesn't matter ,age is a factor ,

mike the hammer Tyson was at his peak at 21

the body literally "decomposes" after a peak age ,which is different for everyone

26 is a good round number

why do u think people take dick pills and hgh in their early 30's

At 21 your body may not be finished growing yet but you are at the vary end of it. So close to the end that training should be able to handle the difference if it'll even be needed at all. But people bodies grow at different rates so it's really hard to tell where a person may be at physically and/or mentally. When things aren't exact people tend to go with the safest bet. And like with everything in life there are variables. You'll normally peak around 25/26 though. However at 30 you can be fully sure his body has grown into itself.

So it's not we can't exceed our limits or that you need to develop your body faster. It's more about people understanding variables and choosing safer options for information that's more widespread. Because there are plenty of 18 year olds that would eat a 30 year old guy for breakfast with out an ounce of trouble.

I think knowledge how to fight always beats no knowledge. If the 21 year old trained to fight, of course he will have a much better chance to beat an older or any other guy for that matter with no knowledge of fighting and if the older guy knows how to fight he will beat the younger guy. In fighting there are never any givens and no guarantees for anybody.

Why a 21 year old with fighting knowledge would want to cowardly beat up on an older or any guy with no knowledge of fighting is beyond me unless he is a criminal as this would be assault. The person who does not know how to fight would probably not willingly agree to a fight.

• Satan

If they're about the same weight and strength, then the 30 year old will have a third more experience at fighting.

• Satan
      3 years agoReport

What if the 30 year old has a hammer? What if they both decide that theres no point in fighting? What if one of them gets abducted by aliens? What if the 21 year old is wearing trainers? what if one of them is able to do pirate impressions really well? what if, what if, what if....