Which move should I make?

I have two children so doing what's best for them is always my top priority. However, in this case, I don't know what the best thing is or if I can even afford either one of them at a rate of $18.50/hr. and working an average of 37 hrs. per week. We are supposed to be moving this weekend and right now I have two options:

Option A: Basement Apartment

Cons: no kitchen, small space, only one bedroom, but could put up a room divider to kind of separate the space to make a another "room". Shared laundry that I would be able to use approx. once a week.

Pros: cheap rent ($800/mo all utilities included except for cable)

my kids could remain in the same daycare

pretty easy commute to and from work.

month to month lease

Apartment B: 2 bdrm/1 ba. apartment

Cons: More money for rent ($1069 plus electric, plus water)

Commute to and from work is worse

New childcare facility for both girls

Pros: I would have the space I need

Better school system

Better neighborhool

I can do laundry when I want to

Thank you for all those who responded so far. I see a lot of you mentioned child support. I receive child support in the amount of $356/mo. And if it helps any, here are my recurring monthly expenses:

Car note: 255.50

Car ins. 71

Phone 35

Parking 93

childcare 360

No kitchen would kill the basement for me.

• tro

the $356 you get in child support can apply to a portion of the rent or toward food, or toward child care, etc

if your income is $684.50/wk, or $2738 it is $3094 for the month, you can't really afford rent more than $1K, in fact less certainly will allow you to more easily pay your bills

• Maxi

You already made the decision 3 weeks ago https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20...

• glenn

You need to live on 80% of your income and bank the rest. it will be miserable but you have to do it to build up an emergency account. Keep working at finding higher paying jobs. Eventually you will have the ability to do things none of your friends can afford to do but right now they will be doing many things you wish you could.

Option 2. Mainly because you have a future with your kids and that means school. But also because option 1 potentially sounds like it is an illegal apartment due to possible occupancy law/fire safety issues. But you are right, your income may not be enough for the more expensive apartment assuming you aren't collecting child support. And if you aren't, why not?

Obviously you will NOT qualify at b being 1/2 of your income.

• Eva

You can't afford B. What are you going to do to feed yourself and your kids when Apt.A has no kitchen?

A sounds like illegal and possibly unsafe.

What about the other parent/s..go after them for support

no reason you can't all be in 1 bedroom..brothers/sisters can share a room..fathers/daughter or mother/son can share...or parent can sleep on the couch.

i would have tried to find a 1 bedroom in the same area for now...and hope to move to an area with better schools in the future.

food can be very expensive when you don't have a kitchen

B

Out of these options... obviously, option 2.

Why? option 1 is not cheap rent for what it provides = even in places like Los Angeles.

It's probably illegal since there is no kitchen. Plus it's going to cost you so much more in household maintenance = increased food costs since everything will need to be held in a mini-frig (need to buy the mini-variety which is more expensive) and the time you are going to spend running to the store because of the mini-sizing.

That said = these are apartments are very different. I can't imagine these to being the only places available.

How come the children have to change daycare?

Also, if you can postpone the move, you should. Four days wouldn't be an ideal timeline for planning this. It would also give you more opportunity to find a place that best suits you. What happens if place #2 is taken or they don't approve you?