Should I call again?

I recently got approved to move into an apartment. The date it becomes available is August 15th, but I don't want to move until the 27th. I've already paid my holding fee. The reasons I need the extra time is because I need to give my current landlord 30 day notice, and give my children's daycare providers two week notice. The problem is the lady in the leasing office told me that if I don't move in or I guess pay prorated rent starting the day it becomes available, if someone else comes in and is able to move in sooner, they have the right to give them that apartment even though I've already paid the holding fee. She said last week that she had to get approval from someone else who was on vacation, but that she should have an answer by Monday. Well I called yesterday and she still didn't have an answer. I hate to be a bother, but I really need to know. I can't do everything last minute. Should I keep calling and bug the snot out of them until they give me an answer?

As long as you have a signed agreement and you pay the rent the place is yours. You don't ever have to move in if you don't want to if you keep paying rent.

She already gave you your options which are pretty standard. Most landlords will not hold a unit that long. You can keep calling but annoying your landlord before you even move in is not a good plan. Slim to nil chance you will get a different answer from her supervisor.

"Yes, I do expect the landlord to forego the rent for the period of the 15th to the 27th for my convenience." Don't hold your breath. Most landlords would not do that.

That's the way it works. They can't just "hold" until you are ready.. they would lose money. If you are able to pay them for the days once it's ready I'm sure they will though.

• tro

if you want this place, take it the 15th, that gives you plenty of time to move your stuff from one place to another, you already paid rent on the one you are living in and it doesn't matter to the landlord that you vacate before the expiration of the lease

You have your answer. You take the apartment on the 15th or you lose it. Pretty simple!

No, the landlord is not going to forego 12 rent for your "convenience." Landlords are in business to make money, not to serve your every whim.

Go ahead and "bug the snot" out of her and she'll reverse her decision. That will leave you with no place to stay as of the 27th. Your current landlord can then charge you double or even treble rent for holding over AND you may be liable to the follow on tenant for your old unit for their temporary living expenses and other costs due to the unit not being ready.

Frankly, I always shot for 7 to 14 days overlap when moving. That gave me time to move at my leisure and clean the old place up properly. Yes, this costs you money, but most things in life have a cost attached.

No, you should just start paying them on August 15th! Problem solved!

The 30 day notice must coincide with the rent due date.

• Judy

They have the right to expect you to pay full rent from /15, no matter when you move in. You're asking them to do without 12 days rent otherwise - why should they do that?

You paid to hold the apartment until it was available - which is August 15.

Your daycare bill is your problem - not the landlord's.

Unless you have a written holding contract or lease that specifies the move-in date as August 27, you're out of luck.

"Yes, I do expect the landlord to forego the rent for the period of the 15th to the 27th for my convenience." It doesn't matter what you expect. It matters what the holding agreement says.

The apartment is available on the 15th. Take it or leave it. Your choice.

You will pay rent from the date the lease starts. You may move in whenever you like. Surely you don't expect the landlord to forego rent for the period 15th to 27th August just for your convenience.