Help with having both swamp cooler and air conditioner?

I try to run my swamp cooler most of the time since it is easier on my electric bill. But today I needed to do some maintenance on my swamp so I turned it off and turned the ac on. When I opened the swamp cooler up I could feel a good bit of cold air from the ac coming out through the swamp cooler fan. Why is this happening and how can I stop it?

You should have a damper between the swamp cooler and the rest of the ducting. If you do, close it while running the A/C. If not, you will need to improvise something to keep the cool air from escaping through the swamp cooer.

After you finish working on it, you can wrap it in plastic and seal it with tape, but sounds like you just be starting it up anyway so it doesn't matter.

On humid days when the swamp cooler cannot cut it, seal it off with plastic (visqueen or plastic bags) and run the A/C. You really should have a cover for the swamper anyway as it is needed in winter.

• Laurie

Of course air leaks through your swamp cooler; it is open to the outside.

You will need to make an impervious cover for the swamp cooler, to block air loss when using your a/c.