Which sentence is correct in English? "I am very sorry I mixed your tracking number with someone else's."?

OR

"I am very sorry I mixed up your tracking number with someone else's."

Also please explain why?

• lover

"sorry" is OK

mix up. Mix up means to switch, use one thing instead of another by mistake (usually). Mix, by itself, means to combine. If you mixed his number with some else's, his number got placed in with someone else's and he had no number (his got mixed away into the wrong place, so he didn't even have a number under his name). If his number was mixed up with another, it means you switched his and the other number, and each got the wrong one. The number you thought was his, was actually someone else's (and vice-versa).

Number 1 sounds like you have more remorse for all the trouble and injuries caused by the train wreck you caused. Number 2 just doesn't have that personal touch.

• sam

I mixed UP your tracking number, sound's right

• mokrie

Mixed up.

• Cogito

The expression is 'to mix up' - meaning to get it confused with something.

You could actually say that - 'I got it confused with someone else's'.

if you just said 'mixed with' that would mean that the numbers were mixed together, like if one was 1234 and the other was ABCD, you'd have made them into A1B2C3D4.

• Tom

the latter.