Two iMac computers. 2010 and 2011. Making 10 a second monitor?

Looking into using the older computer as a second monitor for my 2011. The Mini-DisplayPort (MDP) connectors on the back side of my 21.5 inch monitors don't have the same image over them. The 10 has what appears as a bar a box and another bar. Sort of like |[]| whereas the 11 has a lightning bolt over it. It's my guess - and this is why I ask - guessing doesn't work well, the 11 is Thunderbolt while the 10 is MDP. Is this right? Or am I making dangerous assumptions?

As said, I want to connect the two together. Would I need MDP to MDP? Thunderbolt to MDP? Or will Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt work?

From what I've seen, the 27 inch monitors were the ones designed with this feature in them. Remember, this isn't a computer WITH a monitor, this is an entire computer/monitor package. The software written for the 27 inch system is different. From what I've been able to find out - the answer to your question is that it doesn't look like you can do what you want with the smaller monitor.

I MAY BE WRONG. If you choose to spend money I'd advise doing so as cheaply as possible and be ready to eat the cost of a lesson learned, albeit the hard way.

If it's a 2011 or 2012 iMac then only Thunderbolt sources work. If it's late 2009 or 2010 then Mini DisplayPort works but can be picky sometimes.

The 2011 one is a Thunderbolt port, the 2010 MDP, as you say.

You need an MDP to MDP cable; however it may be that it will not work with your 2010 machine, the info explicitly states a 27" machine as the display one for the 2010 versions..

Full setup details here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204592