Late bank statements. Simply wait patiently?

So I am Power of Atty for my mother, and I like paper, meaning I like to receive paper statements from my bank each month.

I haven't received any "paper" for January, even though customer service said it was mailed prob Jan 11. I can always see checking activity, and so far its OK.

1) How would I detect ID theft? Unauth W/D?

Also, if I mailed a check to same bank to pay a bill and check arrived late, bank would be charging me fines for lateness. Well I havent received statement, so I feel the bank is late with me, but I don't feel they have any accountability, ie I can't "punish" them if I haven't received their stuff.

2) Double standard I have to live with?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 4 years ago

If you have power of attorney for your mom, you can go to the bank and inspect her recent transactions to see it there is a problem. You could also request that they send a duplicate of the statement at that time.

Theoretically, the statement would just confirm the records that you should be keeping.

A missing statement is not a loss, missing money is a loss. A late statement isn't the equivalent of you writing a check that doesn't have funds to back it.

(You aren't supposed to write checks until after the deposit clears. "Playing the float" is done at your own risk.)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.