What is right?

A friend sold his Piece of sh!T (truck) to his son lol... Son drove it for a few months.. Truck leaked anti freeze... Son pulls over... Truck catches fire... Truck is totaled... Friend has another POS. (car) Friend thinks he can transfer truck plates(burned) one to the car...

5 Answers

  • 4 years ago

    That depends on what State your "friend" lives in. In Georgia, you could transfer the plates to the car at the Tax collection office, who handles vehicle plates.

    And this is from the licensing site in Idaho, where I live now.:

    The license plates you display on your personal vehicle belong to you.* When you sell or

    otherwise transfer a vehicle, you need to take the plates off of the vehicle. That way, law

    enforcement officers will not assume the vehicle is yours when they pull it over. When you

    keep your plates, you can use them on another vehicle you may acquire rather than having

    to buy new ones and receive credit for any remaining time on your registration.

  • 4 years ago

    You will have to check with the DMV wherever in the world you are. In the states I believe California is the only state where plates stay with the vehicle. In other states the plates belong to the owner and car plates can be transferred to another vehicle that uses car plates, or truck plates can be transferred to another truck. But usually truck plates cannot be transferred to something that uses car plates.

    For example when I traded in my pickup truck for a Pathfinder (SUV) I had to get different plates for the SUV (which I guess is considered a station wagon). And when I traded the Pathfinder for a Subaru Outback, I was able to transfer the car plates to it.

  • 4 years ago

    he can not.

  • 4 years ago

    Even if your state would permit him to transfer the same plates from one car to another, he would still need to fill out paperwork to accomplish this legally. He can't just decide to do it of his own accord, undocumented, and hope for the best. Your friend isn't very bright, is he?

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 years ago

    Nope. Plates are registered to specific vehicles.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.