Did people really leave their doors unlocked in the 1950s?

I've heard that in the 1950s less crime was reported so people felt safer back then and so they felt safe enough to leave their doors unlocked. Was there really less crime back then? And did people really leave their doors unlocked back then?

Yes, from what I heard from my baby boomer parents as children that was true. Their doors wasn't locked until night time when they went to sleep, but all day their doors were unlocked for neighbors and friends to just walk in and socialize. The 1950s was a simpler time and there wasn't no technology gadgets in homes, just one TV for the entire family....so there was much more socializing and friendships being made. Also, the middle class was economically strong back then.

people in rural areas still do leave doors unlocked. When there are no other houses within several football fields, you effectively can not prevent breakins, so why force some thief to destroy the window in addition to stealing whatever he/she can find? Leaving the door unlocked solves this damage issue.

of course, that was before alarm systems that use radio reporting methods ... but not everyone can afford one of those

Source(s): grampa

I grew up in rural Ohio we had our doors unlocked in the 90s

• Murzy

many people did. i live in the mountains and still leave my doors unlocked

• Mark

I know in some countries like Cuba it is still like that. Heck sometimes the door is wide open during the day

• Lili

In some places -- small towns, rural areas -- they probably did, but not in any large city or even nice suburb of a city that potential burglars might be casing.

• Kini

Yes and in many locations they did that into the 60s and 70s. There was less crime, yes but the reasons for that was the fear of authority, worse conditions in prisons, bad treatment of minority persons, less extenuating circumstances and other sociological circumstances.

Yes, they did.

Everyone was white then. Sorry had to....You`ll understand.

• ?

.