Oxygen Concentrator used on Car Intake?

Several months ago a family member passed away. Left behind was a small battery operated oxygen concentrator. Now that it is no longer being used and I live in fairly high altitude I have been wondering what would happen to engine performance if I hook up a hose to supply concentrated oxygen to the air inlet before the filter.

I'm thinking the extra oxygen will make the car seem like it's at lower altitudes, but at the same time when I take my foot off the gas I don't want oxygen building up in the intake tube. So I want to put it at the opening where the O2 can be sucked in, but if my foot is off the gas then no O2 becomes accumulated anywhere.

The goal? More engine performance. It's a four cylinder Toyota truck.

Nitrous Oxide is used to boost engine performance, so adding just a little O2 shouldn't be a terrible thing. Yet, I don't want to burn up my pistons.

• Ian K

It will take way more power to run the O2 generator than you will ever get out of it.

If it is running 2 LPM, That is .07 CFM. Say you are running 100 CFM, that is basically nothing.

Considering the amount of air the average car uses in everyday driving (around 60-100 CFM), it's not going to make the slightest a bit difference in the real world

Electronic fuel injection automatically compensates for high altitude running, so, unless your pickup is from the 70's or early 80's, (meaning has a carburetor) you're wasting your time and effort.

I'm thinking you're looking to fry your vehicle messing around with some sort of BS device.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

That's another after market device that doesn't work!