Atheists, if you say that there is no God, then what is your explanation for the?

origins of universe and life, purpose of life , future of mankind etc...?

There's nothing wrong with "I don't know". You might try it out some time. It's a good exercise in humility, letting go of the notion that the universe is somehow beholden to human intuitions.

Who says there's an explanation? For all we know, the universe is simply unfathomable. There are plenty of signs. We are so used to certain ideas that we don't realize how weird everything is. What is matter? What's a molecule? What's an electron? Really, what is it? A particle? A packet of energy? What's energy? We can describe it and talk about it and experiment with it, but what is it, really? We don't know. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if we simply can't know.

Here's some food for thought. If God himself presented himself to you, how could you know it was really God? How could you be sure it wasn't just some ET with fancy tech, manipulating your senses? ET could perform "miracles" to convince you that it's God, and there would be no way you could know the difference. Again, it seems that some humility is needed. It seems a bit arrogant to think that the only thing powerful enough to put on a spectacular show for humans is The Supreme Being of All Things. Me, I don't think we're all that. I think something much smaller than the Supreme could totally dupe us.

If the Universe and the *all of creation* has always been energy, and there has never been a point at which

there was 'nothing' ... then 'consciousness' could have been derived from, and created in, that very same energy.

After that, and once 'consciousness' had been established and ultimately prevailed,

there would be nothing to stop the eventual progression of physical manifestation afterward.

Our 3-step plan of birth, life, and death, may be far more feeble and inadequate than we know.

It really isn't a stretch to consider that things do occur, and have occurred,

well beyond the realms of our own understanding, and allowing for such possibilities should never be dismissed.

Let's straighten something out first, I say the god called God doesn't exist, the god of the bible does not exist, even most Christians no longer believe in the god of abrahamic scripture, they now move the goalposts and say parts of scripture contradicted by facts revealed by science are just allegorical, not literal.

As for the existence of any other possible god, no I do not say that one doesn't exist because I do not know for certain, there's billions upon billions of possible gods that we could hypothesise to exist, but I don't believe in any of them because there is no evidence to convince any reasonable person that any of them exist, nor any logical reason to conclude any of them exist.

As for having an explanation for the universe, I don't pretend to have one, like your average theist pretends to.

I have an explanation for why life is the way it is now, an explanation that is also a demonstrable fact, it evolved, but I don't know for sure how life on Earth began, I simply don't assume that any god was required for it, and I'm not convinced by anyone's empty claim that a God must have done it.

As for purpose, people give their own lives purpose, case in point, not all of us are unable, or too lazy to give our lives purpose without the belief that an external agent gave us one for us.

Why do I need to explain the future of mankind?

That's not called an explanation, that's called a prediction, hopefully you know the difference.

The questions that you are asking can not be answered by a finite creature living in an infinite universe. Man's capacity is limited to the here&now. Plus, man can not see into the future. We can only see trends and speculate at best. The future holds no promises. However, the purpose of life is to simply live, which incorporates that what a man or person can do to survive. If that person lives in a less stressful environment whose resources are bountiful, then that person will know happiness. And the person who has to struggle each and everyday merely to stay alive, then that person will only know grief and hardship. Period. There is nothing a God can do to change that but the person themselves. And even then its impossible in some scenarios

Something besides a god or gods.

Atheism is a statement that we don't believe your assertions about a god or gods existing are adequate for us to share your beliefs that gods exist. It is not a claim that we have a total knowledge of everything that ever happened.

If I claimed that 10,000 little green men from the Moon came and stole three cookies from my cookie jar, you don't have to know anything about what actually happened to my cookies or even come up with any plausible explanation about them to decide you don't believe my story, right? Or, if you fail to prove exactly what happened to the cookies, does that somehow make my story true by default?

• 1) Big Bang, abiogenesis, evolution

2) Each of us decides our own purpose. Its subjective

3) Star Trek nailed what I think will be the future of humanity, especially with NASA just this month making a working 'EmDrive' thruster that defies Newtonian physics. Its something straight out of Srar Trek.

• Evan

Your explanation for the origin of the universe and of life (that God did it) is only an explanation for the lazy and ignorant.

• Have you ever considered, that maybe, just maybe ... WE'RE TRYING TO FIGURE THAT OUT?

And atheists aren't nearly as cocky/arrogant to say THEY KNOW FOR CERTAIN?

That's more than I can say about the theists.

• KennyB

I explain them without resorting to imaginary beings.

As for the purpose in life - what makes you think life has a purpose?

In the beginning nothing exploded from no cause

This made meaningless particles,

or an eternally existing tiny speck containing all the mass of the universe came from nowhere and exploded.

and the particles accidentally became complex stuff

which then by random chance they became living stuff

The living stuff became aware & conceived there was no God and therefore no meaning to existence.

and that living stuff decided it was important to teach this to the other living stuff