How much does it cost monthly do drive/have a car?

I'm going to start driving at somepoint, but i don't know how much it will cost. When driving there a things like buying the car itself, insurance, (by law you have to have this when you drive) maintenance, repairs etc. How much does all this cost when driving? And how much does it cost monthly to drive/have a car?

• Jack

This varies greatly. It cannot be answered without a proper context.

You have fuel, tires, oil and other things. How far do you drive? How much fuel do you burn? Taxes? Fees? License? What about a loan to pay off?

Some costs only happen every 3 or 5 years. Batteries don't need replaced as often as the oil needs changed.

Right now my average fuel cost is around 8 cents per mile. That doesn't include anything else. Put another way it costs me $8.00 to drive 100 miles. For me that's 4 dollars a day during the work week or about $64.00 per month in fuel to get to and from work. That doesn't count grocery or other shopping trips.

You should probably plan on paying between $300.00 and $600.00 per month for a vehicle.

• Sean

The more expensive the car, the more it will cost per month. A Hyundai won't cost as much as a Corvette which won't cost as much as a Ferrari.

Most obvious monthly costs will be gas and insurance. Try and set aside some more for repairs and upkeep. You may not have repairs to do each month but, when you do have to pay for them, if you amortize the cost over several months, if makes it more affordable.

• Jay P

That are a number of factors to consider...not only the operating costs but also depreciation costs, as well. If you include depreciation, there is a huge difference between driving a brand new car to an 8 year old vehicle.

Your car is useless without filling up at the pump. With fluctuating gas prices, its impossible to assign a monetary figure to the average monthly cost of gassing up your car. According to The Washington Times, the average consumer spends four percent of his budget on gasoline for his vehicle. Your type of car factors heavily into this figure, with gas-sippers such as the Toyota Prius costing less in gas than a gas-guzzling SUV.

I have never sat down and figured it all out, but you left out gasoline, and motor oil changes and lube jobs, periodically. As well as new tires once in awhile. I put the last in because my tires are getting old and tread is thin. Wheels need to be realigned once in awhile, perhaps, and brakes need to be kept up, along with brake fluid, and power steering fluid. But these are not a monthly expense.

• Ian K

Depends on the car and insurance. I get by at about $45 a month before gas for my car. I maintain my own vehicles and buy them cheap, nothing fancy, just transportation. Know people who spend over $600/month for a vehicle that does the exact same thing.

1

Source(s): Whois VIN Number Lookup http://vinnumberlookup.gelaf.info/?8DTY

It depends on your driving. I know couriers that spend more in gas daily than I spend monthly.

Small city car? Or huge engined supercar? It actually makes a difference.

• notned

Me

12 yr old car paid for car payments...zero

Insurance...60.00 month

Gas...100.00 month

Misc. Oil...wipers etc...10.00 month

170.00 month

Neighbor

New Chevy Malibu payment...350.00 month

Insurance...275.00 month

Gas 100.00 month

825.00 month

It varies wildly...