holacarinados asked in SportsBoxing · 3 years ago

Can boxing skills be helpful in a street fight?

I've tried a few Asian martial arts as well a traditional boxing. I don't like the Asian methods. They just don't feel right. But I like boxing and I do some training and conditioning. Are boxing skills helpful in a street fight considering the fact someone might lunge at you, tackle you, grab you, etc.? Or Is it better to just learn some 'street fighting or defense techniques? Not that I want to go around fighting people. I just want to be prepared if I have to.

Favorite Answer

It sure as hell will! Most knockouts, even in kickboxing and MMA, are from punches. If someone pulls out the great equalizer though, what do you do? A real fight doesn't usually happen 1 on 1. Everyone's experience is different, but the last fight I got into, there were 2 people and 1 had a knife. I never even saw the knife, but he said he had one and waved his arm around. I was lucky enough not to die, but what about next time? That's why I started training with weapons.

If you have good boxing and want to learn something more street-oriented, you could try JKD, FMA, Silat, Kajukenbo, Hapkido, or JJJ. A JKD instructor can teach you all of those styles though. My grappling coach has taught me greco, folkstyle, freestyle, Sambo, Catch, Glima, Judo, Hapkido, JJJ, and this Brazilian art that was invented by cocky people.. Totally spacing the name, anyway, just do you man. Do what makes sense, but don't limit your options.

• mcgray

Yahoo Answers Boxing

• David

YES!!!

Boxing skills would DEFINITELY be helpful in a street fight!!!

Somebody with boxing skills/training would simply destroy his opponent, in dynamic and horrifying fashion, and it would be very fast.... PROVIDED of course... that the opponent is not also skilled at fighting/martial arts, and provided the opponent isn't really... REALLY Big!

Boxing training, even in a short period of time... will give you a very noticeable increase in your punching speed and power, You will also learn and master distance, timing, offensive striking skills, and defensive striking skills. The footwork in boxing is an absolute necessity for both defense and offense, and is taught well and learned quickly at most any boxing gym. Sparring will elevate your game tremendously, and inside of six months, you'll be able to take out just about anybody that is more or less your size, who does not have equivalent or superior training.

If you want to be skilled at striking, I honestly believe that there is no better place to start that boxing.

However, there are weaknesses. Number ONE, if you fight a skilled grapple, and you don't knock him out in the opening seconds of the fight... YOU WILL LOOSE! For a very complete system of fighting, there is NOTHING better than Gracie Jujitsu. You'll learn striking with punches, kicks, open hand techniques, elbows, and knees. You'll learn throws, sweeps, take downs, and the ridiculous grappling and ground fighting that they are so famous for! Forget about a black belt, a regular blue belt would take out 95% of anybody, anywhere. Brazilian Jujitsu is different from Gracie Jujitsu as they do not teach striking, self-defense, or throws. They focus only on the grappling and ground fighting, but you will still learn a LOT, and be a dangerous dude. Judo and Wrestling are far less complete, but still very good choices, and would almost definitely beat a trained boxer, without grappling training.

Also, one of the biggest drawback to boxing, is its limited damage potential relative to the user's size. For example, Manny Pacquiao, is a phenomenal talent, hall of fame, legendary boxer. In a real fight, he would easily dispatch anybody of a reasonable size. However, what if Pacquiao had to fight John Cena? John Cena may not know anything about fighting, but at his size and strength he could absorb Pacquiao's punches, grab Pacquiao, and rip him to pieces like a silver back gorilla. Pacquiao at 147-150 lbs simply would not be able to inflict enough damage on a guy like that, before being grabbed, and then HULK smashed. Conversely, a Gracie Jujitsu fighter of the same size, absolutely could and would take John Cena. You can see a number of actual fight videos on youtube showcasing this. I have included just two below....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjFp1R5klo4

Youtube thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6QGNPi3vs8

Youtube thumbnail

I am a firm believer that anyone looking into doing Martial Arts or Fighting should have a balance of striking and grappling skills. I think Boxing is an excellent striking style, and there is a LOT to learn, and it will most definitely give you incredible, real-world ability. It absolutely DOES have street fighting application, and will enrich your life. But, Gracie Jujitsu is all that, and SO MUCH MORE! Optimally, you should do both! Its great to cross-train, and boxing will give you an incredible base for other striking styles like Muay Thai. Wrestling and Judo also have incredible value that will absolutely enhance your fighting ability tremendously too.

I hope this helps! :)

• David
      3 years agoReport

..... and gun disarms from close distance.

• Jose

Yes. Boxing, today, still holds on to their old school training methods (although it's been getting worse and worse over time). They train you to have a correct stance and to use footwork while you remain in your guard stance. To get good, it takes a lot of time and practice. But they also teach you the basic punches and how to apply them through sparring relatively quickly.

The problem with many Asian martial arts is that they have lost those basic training principles with applications. As Asian martial arts are more complex than western boxing and kick boxing - it is supposed to take a much longer time to become proficient, good, very good, and great at them. Today, people think they are going to be flying through the air in 6 months (while only going to an Asian martial arts class 2X's a week for 3 hours). This isn't realistic. On top of that, most Asian martial arts schools in the West are garbage (with instructors that don't know how to apply the style - if they are even legit to begin with).

Yes. Fighters who train frequently in boxing are able to punch their opponents hard enough to break their hands, even with a glove on. Add to that you have superior slipping skills and faster hands. There isn't a striking martial art that can beat boxing for what it does.

Obviuosly boxing skills can be useful in a street fight,If all your training is aimed at knocking out your opponent with a punch the untrained half drunk opponent on the street probably won’t know what hit him!

Yes

Yes

yes boxing develops your punching speed which could end a fight quickly.

If your fightin a straight up head hunter it will. If your fighting an experienced wrestler and grappler, I don't think so.