Can I get a treadwear credit?

I bought a set of Yokohama Avid tires in June 2010. I just visited a mechanic, and he told me all four tires need replacement (one has a nail; another has a patch which is leaking). The mechanic said that other two tires are down to 2/32". The tires are rated for 80K miles, and I only have 46K on them...

Can/should the installer give me a credit for the mileage / treadwear shortfall? Or not - I was told to "go after the manufacturer..."

5 Answers

  • 4 years ago

    absolutely you can file a warranty claim with Yokohama. Just file the claim and provide them with receipts proving that you rotated the tires every 5K to 7M miles as required, kept your vehicle properly aligned and tires at the correct pressure. Get it? No mfgr will warrant owner neglect. Fully 25% of all cars on the road today are driving on underinflated tires. That reduces tread life by almost half. Add in alignment issues and lack of rotation and that brings you down to 46K miles.

    Without receipts you'd have to prove that inner, center and outer tread depth on each tire and front to back tread depths are all within 1/32. Can you do that?

  • 4 years ago

    Good luck with that, is all I have to say. You'll be lucky to get $5 a tire. Is it worth that much of a hassle?

  • g
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

    For a six year old set of Yokohamas? Sure, go ahead. But your chances of recouping anything is slim to none.

  • 4 years ago

    After more than 6 years, you just go buy new tires.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 years ago


Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.