I have to do some research and I am confused on where to start.?

How do you think we can improve the quality of private health insurance in the USA? Any books or article recommendations?

Competition is the best way to improve any product. The problem is many of the things people want from their health insurance costs money but they don't want to pay for what they want. They think insurance companies have an endless supply of money and the insurance companies should give them everything at cost or cheaper.

I'd start with researching articles about how Obama care affected private insurance.

You may want to start with articles on other countries' health insurance (I've heard places like Finland and China have different systems than the US).

Ask a librarian to help you. They are experts at finding information and are always happy to show people how to real, grown-up research. As you've probably discovered, "just gloobling it" is not research.