Lv 4
John asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 5 years ago

Could you reprogram a seed?

Is there a way to reprogram a plant seed so that instead of becoming a plant, it would become a steak dinner or a computer or any other product?

Would this be the beginning of creating Star Trek type Replicators?

2 Answers

  • 5 years ago
    Favourite answer

    Only if you can figure out how to change DNA on the fly. Humans and bananas share about 85% of DNA. It's the other 15% that makes it complicated.

  • 5 years ago

    In a weird and unimagined way, it is possible.

    We may not have the resources but from what we can do now with modifications.. it's possible sometime in the future.

    It will be difficult until we fully understand what controls how something grows into its shape, and how to differentiate what parts are different materials ie plastic or glass screens and where that material is received.

    This would be Genetics Engineering, a very wealthy and successful field. It's fun too.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.