WayneH
Lv 7
WayneH asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 5 years ago

Question on hog ammo.?

Update:

I have property in East Texas that is heavily wooded. My longest shot will be within 50 yards or so. I have an AR-15 .223 which might be a little light for a large hog. I also have a Mossberg 500 tactical 12 gauge. I prefer this one for hogs and was wondering if slugs or 00 buckshot would be the best.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favourite answer

What's your question?

" I also have a Mossberg 500 tactical 12 gauge. I prefer this one for hogs and was wondering if slugs or 00 buckshot would be the best."

If it were *ME*, I would be using slugs. That isn't to say buckshot wouldn't be effective, but it's just not 'my thing'. I believe in a big hole and a big piece of lead, as long as you can shoot it accurately.

• Jeff
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

My hog hunting tells me that 5.56 ball works just fine on wild hogs.

If you get close a 12 gauge slug will do fine too.... you have any trees close? Learn to climb them....

• Well if I'm going to use a shotgun that means a fairly short distance so I'm go with a slug.

• C T M
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Rifled slug.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • WayneH
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Thanks folks, I was leaning toward the rifled slug. Bug chunk of lead and a big hole.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

You did not ask a question.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.