What is the other people insurance representative up to.?

Had an accident. Backed up into a car just causing property damage to wheel and tire. Probably no more than 200 dollar wheel and 150 dollar tire. Live in California and its a fault ins state. Its against the law for them to claim Uninsured motorist because I have ins. The would have 500 deductable if they went on there insurance. So even if they use there ins they would pay nothing. So why the hell would there insurance keep bothering me.The people could take me to small claims court but it would cost them 200 dollars and my ins would probably pay before we walk into. So they would lose 200 dollars. So there ins really does not have any business.


I guess they are going to tell me to pay the people and then get my money back from my ins. That never going to happen so why go there.

Update 2:

The laws in California state that the Part should be replaced with equal to or OME standereds. not Identical to.

9 Answers

  • 5 years ago

    How insurance works, including whose insurance company pays for what, is decided by state law. People don't get to pick and choose which policy will pay for their damage.

    In California they use the tort system, meaning the owner of the responsible (at fault) vehicle pays for the damage they caused. Sometimes the other party can claim through their policy if they want, just to speed up the repair process and get them back on the road, but you'll still be required to pay for all the damage. That's why you have Property Damage Liability coverage on your auto policy.

    Just inform your insurer that this happened (they'll find out anyway) and be done with it. They'll either give you a claim reference number to use or tell you to just use your policy number and date of loss (loss is the accident that happened). When the other guy's insurer calls you up to pester you, just give them that claim number and they'll leave you alone.

    Or just pay it yourself, your choice. But you don't get to decide how much their damage costs to repair, and you're not educated enough to dispute it with an insurance company. They've got entire teams of people who do legal documentation for a living every day, and you can barely spell or type a complete sentence. You wouldn't be bringing a knife to a gunfight, you'd be bringing a plastic spoon.

  • Boots
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

    Boy do you have a bad understanding of insurance.

    Odds are, the damage is a whole lot more than $200.

    The other drivers insurance company will inspect the car and write an estimate to repair it. They will then pursue you for recovery.

    No, it's not the law for them to file against Uninsured Motorist Coverage. UM coverage is for a driver to use when the party that caused their damage does not have insurance. Hence the "uninsured" part of the coverage. The uninsured driver is then held personally responsible for the damage they caused and the insurance company pursues them for re-payment.

    If you ignore them, the can have your drivers license suspended, sue you, turn you over to collections or of all of the above.

    Even if the damage is $200 they may chose to pursue legal action against you. And most states will let them suspend your drivers license. Usually all they have to do for that, is mail a letter into the dmv. And once your license is suspended in 1 state, it's suspended in all states. So moving to another state will not get your drivers license back. Usually to get your drivers license back you have to pay the insurance company they money owed to them for the accident and some pretty hefty fines to the state.

    They are probably contacting you to give you a chance to tell them your side of the story, to see if you have damage to your car or if you are injured. They may also be calling to tell you to file the claim with your insurance company or to give you a chance to step up and do the right thing before they take further action.

    At this point, you need to notify your insurance company about the accident. Give your company the other drivers information and the contact info for his insurance company. Your liability carrier will take over from there.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    You are getting yourself all confused. Since you backed into someone/something, you will be found liable. Their insurance has nothing to do with this. **Your** liability insurance should cover all of the repair/replacement cost. You have NO say or control in what the damage repair amount will be. Simply notify your insurance company and allow them to handle everything. You will be surprised at the amount that it will cost for repairs/replacement. I can almost guarantee you that it will be much more than $200.00

    Insurance 101 should be taught right along with drivers education. if it was taught, a question like this wouldn't have to be asked.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    Wrong all around. You will need your insurance to deal with your accident that you caused, yo pay for their damages. Their insurance should not have to be involved. It should not be uninsured motorist, as you mentioned, therefore, their insurance collision/deductible doesn't enter the picture, at all.

    The whole reason insurance is there, is to prevent the need for small claims or district court to deal with motor vehicle accidents. Most likely, the costs will be much higher than you think. If you hit their car bad enough to bend the wheel and mess up the tire, there are many other things bent and broken behind it. Very likely several thousand dollars will be spent to repair the car's rear suspension, etc.

    You don't pay any money, your insurance company does.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • g
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

    You caused the damage. Therefore you and your insurer are responsible and liable for all repair costs. However, you should not need to have any direct contact with the other party or their insurer. That is the responsibility of your insurance provider, that's their job.

  • 5 years ago

    You clearly don't understand insurance. You don't set what the damage is, the involved insurance companies set that and fault.

    You caused damage, and since you backed into them you are probably at fault. You can pay out of pocket, or have your insurance handle it, but you owe for the damage done. I'd advise letting your insurance handle he details.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    You don't understand what a deductable is. Unless their insurance claims against you they will have to pay their deductable. For your fault.

    You caused the damage. You or your insurance cover it. End of story.

  • Check with your lawyer and gp on from there.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago


Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.