Amy
Amy asked in Consumer ElectronicsHome Theater · 5 years ago

Shouldn't the surround sound work on my tv too?

I got a bluray player with surround sound for my birthday but when I hooked it up it only plays on the surround sound speakers when I'm playing discs or online with the bluray player. I thought it should work with just the tv too.

• Favourite answer

If the TV has an optical out connection on the back and the bluray player has an optical in connection - you can use an optical audio cable(also known as toslink) to output the sound from the TV into the bluray player which will drive the surround sound system

Nope. You bought a "Box" home theater system. We get multiple complaints about these including what you have discovered. It is not a 'receiver' that you can send sound to.

Yes - it claims it has inputs but these are red/white RCA inputs for stereo. Your TV is 5.1 - not stereo.

Sorry - you have a disk player with attached speakers.

You can't assume such things, especially when the manual says otherwise. Buy cheap, get cheap.