Do I have to have auto insurance to drive my car on my private property.?

I backed up and hit a car on my property. We have sign in the front no public parking . Visitors park out side. So if some one that does not live on the private property get hit are we liable for the damage.

So if the damage is like 200 dollar wheel and 125 dollar tire. We could force them to take us to small claims court. Which would cost them about 200 dollars and with an arbitrator we could settle for maybe two hundred dollars if they want to go through all that trouble.

In California there are no debtors prisons. I had a friend that got into an accident and got a judgement against him and never paid a dime. After ten year it goes off the court record if there has been no action. the other guys insurance tried to get him sign some paper to pay the bank but he didn't.

Your state laws may not require you to keep insurance on cars that held exclusively on private property. However, if you damage a visitor's car with your vehicle, you are responsible for the damages, insured or not.

Edit: You could force them to do that, and they could be awarded their court costs, which means that you'd pay that $200. You damaged the car, so do the right thing and make them whole.

If by your negligence you damaged someone else's property you are liable, wherever that property was. If they were trespassing on the property and they did damage as a result, you would have a claim against them. Whether you have insurance or not, or had to have insurance or not, does not change your liability.

Having insurance has nothing to do with your liability. Yes, if you cause an accident, you are liable. Whether or not you have insurance, whether or not it's private property.

You have to check your state's law in relation to your question.