Would the USA elect an openly atheist President?

It does seem for the most part a presidential candidate has to claim a Christian faith in order to be electable.

they should do, all this rubbish of in GOD we trust,sounds so phoney and corny,at least it will stop people laughing at the quote right,

It would be good to have an atheist president but because the US is so fundamentally christian, it would never happen. It worries me that american presidents base decisions on the Bible instead of practical common sense and the good of the people. Many right wing christians would happily ban abortion, yet go to war and kill millions of actual people. George Bush was a good example. He said that God spoke to him and Bush killed a million people in Iraq with no conscience about the deaths. A christian can find some biblical passage to justify things like that, while an atheist would have to rely more on his conscience and respect for humanity in his decisions.

Why not?

For a President I do not vote for a Pope like spiritual figure.

I could care less what, if any religion, a political candidate is.

• -j.

That is an interesting question. It certainly wouldn't bother me, but I wonder how the general public would feel about it. In the future, probably...but this day and age? Not sure.

No,

In.order to be president you must be 35+ and a legal citizen.

Neither of which would qualify an atheist.

😢 😢 / 😢 😡

The fool says there is no God.

-- psalms 14:1

Eventually, but not anytime soon I don't think.

No